Water heater to washer hookup

Old 10-27-12, 06:34 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water heater to washer hookup

Renting a house with a electric water heater. Last tenant only did cold water laundry. The water heater has 1/2 inch PEX coming out of top with a tee splitter. One line feeds the house the other line is just hanging there with a end stop on it. Is it possible to buy a sharkbite connector and connect the split off hot water heater output line directly to the washer or is the water heater pressure to high? Can a pressure relief valve be installed if the pressure is to high? Or should I just call a plumber? Any advice would help cause the lundry is piling up!

Old 10-27-12, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Yes from what you state you can tap off that to get hot water to the washer,

I would say add a valve to that line. After the valve run to where you need to.

Yes shark bites will be fine. I like to keep shark bites in the open?

Last edited by lawrosa; 10-28-12 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Get your landlords written permission to do the work/modification. Your renter's insurance may not cover damage you do if it fails.

Old 10-28-12, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Any advice would help cause the lundry is piling up!
It shouldn't hurt anything to wash clothes in cold water! When I lived in fla my washer was in an out bldg and we washed clothes that way for 13 yrs. BUT as Larry pointed out - get your landlord's permission before making any changes like that to the rental property!!

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 10-28-12, 06:21 AM
J
Ok. I hooked up a shark bite to the 1/2in PEX line followed by a ball valve (wanted to get something good and strong) after the ball valve I connected the hot water intake hose from the washer. when I turned water back on, it started spurting at the connection through the threads. It may be thin washers, but I think its the pressure from the water heater. Do you have any suggestions on what I could buy to get the pressure down. And the landlord gave go ahead.

Old 10-28-12, 06:26 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It's not the pressure. The threads of what exactly was it leaking from?

Old 10-28-12, 07:29 AM
J
The 1/2in PEX is hooked up to a sharkbite with a 1/4in output. The 1/4in output from the sharkbite is hooked up to a 1/4in ball valve. The ball valve is hooked up to a very short 1/4in nipple and the 1/4in nipple is hooked up to the hot water intake hose on the washer. The main part of the leak is coming from the connection between the sharkbite output thread and ball valve, but when the valve is open it leaks from in between all the connections. its like a garden hose spray when its not connected properly. The washers I used are really thin and worn. I was wondering if I needed new washers. Do I have to coat thread connections with anything like a sealant? I only used plumber tape the first time and not the real good stuff. And finally both washer intakes hot and cold were hooked up to the cold water line, so would that have caused any problem? could the machines Hot water intake be clogged I did run the machine and it seemed to run fine I just need to get hot water to it.

Old 10-28-12, 07:42 AM
1/4" !!!!!!!!! that is a major problem.... I don't know of any washer hose that is 1/4"; do you mean 3/4"? Yes, threaded connection (not the hose connection) need to have pipe dope on the threads to lubricate them to allow you to tighten the connection enough to have a leak tight seal. The threads are tapered and are actually what seal, the pipe dope does not seal anything. The connection must be very tight. Also, replace your hose washers and or it may be time for new hoses all together.

Old 10-28-12, 08:06 AM
J
I meant 3/4 inch, sorry. I'll get new washers and pipe dope and give that a try. I'll let you know how it goes

Old 10-28-12, 06:05 PM
J
Still no good. The connection between the PEX and shark bite is good. From the shark bite to the ball valve is good. It still sprays between the ball valve and short nipple. And between short nipple to washer HW intake connector. I used megaloc between sharkbite output and ball valve which is good as well between ball valve and nipple which is not good. the washer in the HW intake hose on washing machine is good. The PEX I'm working with is basically a extension line split from the line that comes DIRECTLY from the water heater output. Do I need a thicker washer between the ball valve and nipple(the one I bought was crappy so I tried it without it)? I didn't think I should put the megaloc on the end of the nipple that I hook the HW hose from the washer to, so I didn't. Any other advice.....Am I missing a step along the way? Should I Turn EVERYTHING back on to test the washer? I leave the hot water heater off when I turn the main water on to test the connection as well as the CW intake on the washer. I'm willing to take one more crack at this before I call a plumber. Thanks.

Old 10-28-12, 06:08 PM
washer? Umm, can you post a picture? Or a link to a picture that you have posted at a free online hosting site such as photobucket.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: