Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Please help me. I was told that I probably need a dip tube but diptube is long

Old 12-03-12, 07:56 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Please help me. My AO Smith 40 gallon gas water heater has only given me hot water when I initially light it. It runs out of hot water fast and doesnt get as hot as it used to. 2-3 years ago I was told my dip tube was probably broken. The symptoms seemed to match up so since then I have always believed it. When I needed hot water I would have to let tank cool and then reheat the burner for it to burn strong. After a 2 day war to get my cold water nipple off I pulled the dip tube. It was very long. Long enough to hit the ceiling in my water heater closet. I did not see that black washer but the tube seemed to be intact. So what is causing my problem? Is it a bad burner? A bad thermostat? I know the easy/smart thing to do is just buy a new water heater but I do not have that money.

Old 12-03-12, 09:43 AM
D
Quick update. After draining and beating the crap out of my nipple to get it off I saw the dip tube was fine. I filled up the tank and relit it. I put the water setting on b. It fired up but went out within 20 minutes. I moved the setting up to very hot. It refired but not for long. I resigned myself to buying a new tank. So I decided to pry the thermostat knob off. With the knob pried off I noticed there was a lot more room to go past the very hot setting. Is it possible my knob is just misaligned? I pray that is the case. I pushed it to the max. Way past where the knob said very hot. I'm now waiting to see if the burner goes off and how hot the water gets. If the knob is just misaligned that would be a prayer answered.

Old 12-03-12, 10:09 AM
D
I may have found the problem. I took the knob off and adjusted it by hand. The water now is getting to 140 degrees. Was only 110-115 before and even better the burner is now firing within 2-3 minutes of the hot water running! I really pray this was the problem all along.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: