Help: Water Storage / Indirect Storage Tank Leaking

Old 12-03-12, 07:25 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Help: Water Storage / Indirect Storage Tank Leaking

During the summer I noticed that there was a wet stain to the left of my hot water tank. I brushed it off and thought the cat was misbehaving. Well apparently, it wasn't the cat. Now I have what looks like a "Stream" coming from the hot water tank. After much internet research over the last few days, I finally figured out that I have a Storage Tank * I think*. I also figured out there are shut off valves for the input/output from the oil burner (Buderus G115). Now I really believed I was a master of water storage tanks - turn it off when not home, turn it on when I need hot water, get a new tank when I can dish out the $$$, call in a plumber and "Poof" leak is gone. Oh boy was I surprised when I came today to hear what sounded like chains ratteling in thetank. I would like to keep the same type (Storage Tank) system, but I don't have $$ now to set that up. Should I go with actual stand alone Electric water heater and cap off from the furnace? If I do that, will I kill my furnace? What can I do in the mean time to stop the water storage tank from ratteling when I stop the water feed? Am I wrong in thinking stopping the water is OK. Any help would be appreciated. - Single Mom of 3

Old 12-04-12, 10:54 PM
M
ok although you are manually (by means of a lever valve?) able to isolate the indirect from the boiler, the electric control and or thermostat from the indirect tank is telling the boiler to operate thus circulating pump and boiler both running in an effort against closed valves. possibly source and cause of the commotion. i feel that source of domestic hot water is superior to the electric alternative, it may be a bit more cumbersome & costly but certainly worthy of identical replacement.

Old 12-05-12, 06:30 PM
L
Malibumike - thanks so much for the response. I felt as though I did something wrong. The best I can do now is electric. I can't afford a replacement tank.

Old 12-05-12, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
To install electric you may need to incur the cost of running a new electrical line also. You must factor this cost in also.

If you can post pics of your issue it will help.

We would like to see where this stream is coming from. Possibly its just the relief valve and a faulty expansion tank on the potable water side. May be an inexpensive fix.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: