Hot Water mixing with Cold, and no hot water when taking a shower

Old 12-26-12, 10:32 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water mixing with Cold, and no hot water when taking a shower

I have a 10 year old OA Smith Tank (gas) - never had a problem with hot water - until 8 weeks ago. The first problem was the mixing of hot water with the cold, at all faucets - after raising the thermostat a notch. I have done that before with no problem when we get a guest staying over. So, as a result, I brought it down to the normal setting 120-130 degrees. Now, when someone is taking a shower, none of my faucets gets any hot water. The person taking the shower is fine and notices no difference. This never happened before. Nothing in my plumbing has changed. Could it be the cold water pressure? I don't notice much difference in pressure on the hot or cold side. Do I need a new heater? Once in a while I have drained the tank to get rid of some sediments. I would appreciate any help in finding out what the problem is.

Old 12-29-12, 02:19 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
does hot water return to other fixtures when shower is not in use? if so, problem is most likely shower faucet cartridge cross-flow issue. replace faucet cartridge. a second or third single handle faucet in the house could also be the source of the problem.

Old 12-29-12, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Secondly if you have a recirc system with a pump the check valve can be faulty.

What type make and model shower faucets are they?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: