After drain leak!

Old 12-27-12, 01:44 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
After drain leak!

Hey guys/gals

My wife had noticed the water coming from the kitchen faucet(and all other faucets) was extremely hot. I checked the temp of the water and it was pushing 200 degrees! So I killed the power to it till the next day.

I then shut the water off, and tried draining it and only drained about 5-10 gallons(40 gallon tank) before it stopped up my hose. I decided to continue the fun with a 12 gallon wet/dry vac and got the rest of the water and eventually most of the crud on the bottom of the tank.

I replaced both thermostats, and both elements. Got everything back together and got a call from the misses when I was at work saying the tank is leaking now. I had checked for leaks after it was full of water and it wasn't leaking from either elements at that time. I had her check the elements again and she says she can't see any water running down from them. But she's saying that she can see a good bit of "condensation" on the plastic surrounding the bottom thermostat/element.
She claims there is a small of water that seems to pool up around the bottom of the water heater, only in the front.

Is it possible these cold days and colder water filling this 40g tank caused condensation? It's an electric heater, so I wasn't sure if that was a common thing amongst electric water heaters bein filled with cold water. Thanks for any help! Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just stumped. This thing wasn't leaking till after we drained it and put it in new thermostats/elements.

Old 12-27-12, 02:56 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Update: just got home and got a good look at the bottom element, seen a very thin line of water running from it. Went to tighten it and more water started coming out! Turns out when I tightened that element down I stopped as soon as I felt it slow down, but it was just the rubber gasket around the threads compressing. I tightened it down a bit more and the water stopped. I have everything dried up, so I'll check it when I wake up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: