Rudd Commercial WH problem

Old 12-29-12, 11:09 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rudd Commercial WH problem

I have a commercial Rudd Water heater nat gas, 37 gal. Pilot lights, but burner does not come on or comes on intermittently When cold, water heater sometimes comes on and sometimes it waits for a hour, and sometimes it doesn't come on at all. The last time I had a problem, I called a plumber and he came out, changed the thermostat, didn't fix it, changed the gas control valve, didn't fix it, and finally figured out that it was a wire. I played with the wires and found that one of them came out of the connector easily. I replaced all the wires, red, black, and white and reconnected per the wire diagram. Didn't fix the problem. I know you can jump some connectors to find out if its the thermostat or the valve, but not sure which ones. I also know that you can leave it on too long and over pressurize the tank. I am fairly knowledgeable about plumbing and electrical if someone wants to email the trouble shooting techniques. If you need any more info, please let me know. I have attached pics of the thermostat and control valve.
Jim

Attached Images   
Old 12-29-12, 11:23 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
After doing a little research... to diagnose a gas valve, first check to see if the pilot light is on. If so, then the thermocouple or thermopile is generating enough voltage to keep the safety valve open. If the appliance is a hot water heater but it's not firing up, the thermopile might be weak. It may be producing enough power to open the safety valve, but not enough to open both the safety and main valves together. If replacing the thermopile doesn't work, then you need a new gas valve.

The pilot light goes out sometimes and Im thinking that it is not in the flame enough to generate enough power to open both valves. What do you guys think. Its worth a shot to realign the flame to cover more of the thermopile and if that doesnt work, replace the thermopile. Its a lot cheaper than a new valve. LMK what you guys think.
Jim

Old 01-05-13, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Its worth a shot to realign the flame to cover more of the thermopile and if that doesnt work, replace the thermopile. Its a lot cheaper than a new valve. LMK what you guys think.
Jim
Sorry I missed this one, but sure give it a shot if you have not already. Let us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: