No gas getting to pilot

Old 01-20-13, 09:24 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No gas getting to pilot

I have a Rheem Fury propane water heater that will not light. When I blow through the gas system with the pilot knob pushed in air will not pass. If I disconnect the gas line that runs to the pilot I can easily blow through the main box when the pilot knob pushed in, (not with it out) and can easily blow through the gas line that runs to the pilot. When I screw the line back into the main box I can no longer blow through it at all. I have the temp valve set to vacation and the plastic overheat piece is in good shape. This is one of the sealed chambers with a Peizo (sp?) lighter. Don't know when the water heater was last used, but is clean and in great shape. Was in place in a trailerhouse with all connections hooked up when we pulled it out. Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Old 01-20-13, 10:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,147 Upvotes on 3,724 Posts
Plugged or partially clogged pilot orifice.

Water Heater Pilot Orifice

Old 01-20-13, 10:54 PM
M
Thank you for your response, That's what I initially thought but I can blow through the entire pilot supply line easily, it's only when I screw it back into the gas control valve, which I can also blow through easily when they are apart (& the pilot knob pushed in), that it messes up. I can't see/ feel anything in there that should be blocking gas flow when I screw it back together, but I would blow through the gas valve with the pilot knob pressed in and push the pilot supply line back up into it's seat and then it seems plugged. I take it back out, blow through the supply line, and I can blow through it easily... The act of putting it into it's seat in the gas valve seems to be blocking the gas flow, which makes absolutely no sense to me

Old 01-21-13, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
If no gas coming out of gas valve when pilot is pushed down, either air in lines, gas is not turned on at the source, or the gas valve is bad.

Old 01-21-13, 11:13 AM
M
I apologize, I must be explaining this badly, If the pilot gas line is unscrewed from the gas valve, propane will go through the valve when the pilot knob is pushed in, I can hear it and feel it at the spot where the pilot gas line screws in and I can blow through the pilot gas line to the burn chamber so it is not clogged. It is only when I put the gas line back into the gas valve that the gas flow stops. is there a diaphragm or a safety in that connection causing the gas to not pass through once it is connected? Thank you!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: