Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

What brand gas control valve can I use to replace a 20 yr old kenmore economizer

What brand gas control valve can I use to replace a 20 yr old kenmore economizer

Old 02-10-13, 12:25 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a Kenmore Economizer 5 model no. 153. 333372.

The pilot had gone out. When I tried to relight it, it will light but won't stay lit. I'm not Mr. Fix-It but I can usually figure out even complicated things with enough research and instructions. I changed out the thermocouple and it still won't stay lit. I've done an open circuit and closed circuit test on the new one and it seems to be working fine - rises over 20mV on the open, and goes over 13mV on the closed test(got these figures from several websites, hope they are correct).

Everything I can figure and research tells me that the gas control valve just needs replaced. This heater is 20-30 yrs old but seems in good shape otherwise and if I can save the money, even temporarily I'd like to.

My questions are these -

Will another brand of control valve fit on this heater or do I have to buy the $170 part from sears?(in which case I'll just spend the $300 on a new heater and install it myself)

Is there anything I'm overlooking and it might not be the control valve? If so, can someone give me detailed instructions on how to check it/fix it?

Old 02-10-13, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
You will probably pay around 100 bucks for a universal gas valve... But IMO O would definitely replace the heater.

You can replace the gas valve and it could start leaking weeks later... Why spend money on a 20-30 yr old heater?

Just my opinion....

Old 02-10-13, 08:48 AM
C
I've certainly thought about that because I've heard that from a couple people by now. I've seen a couple universal valves online for $65-75 and that would put me in a much better position financially if that would get me another few months even.

I do have to ask - if this things seems to be in great shape otherwise, is there a reason it may suddenly leak after the repair? Does changing the gas valve make it more likely?

Old 02-10-13, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Changing the gas valve you need to drain the heater. Probably full of sediment. The drain port may plug up and you will need to remove and replace it. Draining the sediment out may not be good. The sediment may be whats holding the heater together.

Soon after I drain old heaters they often leak a short time after.....

Old 02-10-13, 02:38 PM
C
Ah. Ok, thank you. That explains it. I'd heard so many people say that it may leak afterwards that its nice to know why. Seems like there's a number of times where dirt and grime is the only thing holding something together. Anyway, new heater it is. Thanks to all for the info!

Old 02-10-13, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Good luck..

AO smith or Bradford white are the top brands I use........ I dont do home store heaters.

Old 02-11-13, 01:19 PM
C
Thanks again. I didn't realize this would show my full name on every post by signing in through facebook. Is it possible for a mod to just delete this thread? Or change my name somehow? It's no big deal but it's why most people use screennames.

Old 02-11-13, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
I can delete the whole thread but you can log in through a computer and change your log in info I believe... ( member name)

Let us know.

Old 02-11-13, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
I sent a note to other mods to figure out how to alter your name. Stand by.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: