240V Hot Water heater expansion tank--Is plumber necessary?

Old 02-13-13, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
240V Hot Water heater expansion tank--Is plumber necessary?

4 yrs ago I installed 50Gal 240v hot water tank, w/press. relief valve of course.
City water system, house is 2 blocks from water plant, will check incoming pressure.
Basic two story century house, nothing unusual in plumbing.
Finding out by word of mouth, it is code to have an expansion tank on cold water inlet. Question: How critical is it to have first expansion tank installed by plumber?
I ask this knowing the forum may play it safe and say always get certified plumber.
I have totally replaced all galvanized piping with copper pipe, and replaced drain pipes with pvc 22yrs ago, (Inspected by city, no problems),
have not had a reason to hire plumber other than advise on occasion. I have no problem hiring plumber if good reason.

Thanks in advance for any comment,,,,,,,,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-13, 02:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Installing the expansion tank presents no "non-DIY" issues. You just have to make sure it doesn't leak. I would install it after the cut off valve to the water heater. This allows for maintenance without having to turn off the whole house to do so. The tank is installed vertically above the cold water line using a solid tee fitting (not sharkbite type which will roll) cut into the pipe.

Old 02-15-13, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had read in previous post's to stay away from Sharkbite fittings near water heater, made sense. I'll start looking for a quality expansion tank & get one on the system, . Thanks for input...Have a great day!

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined"

Patrick Henry