Power vent American WH troubles

Old 02-19-13, 03:42 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Power vent American WH troubles

Greetings,

Heater comes on normally, heats water fine (YEA!!!) but won't shut off. Burner goes off but blower does not. Presently the burner comes on again then goes off-this keeps repeating. I turn off the power to the WH and of course the blower stops. Re-apply power and the problem is still there. If I wait an hour or so and turn the power back on, it it back to normal operation.

I'm at the deep end of the pool for me and I would appreciate some helping words.

Cheers

David

Old 02-19-13, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
How old is the unit? Most have a 6 yr parts warranty and you may be better off paying for labor....

Could be lots of things.... Any codes flashing from the gas valve?

Old 02-19-13, 10:26 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ancient!! 19 years so it doesn't owe me a thing. This unit is way before codes etc. The only code I have is "code" water if the burner doesn't light. Ugh...sorry.anyway I'm looking to go tankless but I'd like to get this puppy working until i can choose-ship-install a new unit. Thought there might be a simple fix

Old 02-19-13, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Could be weak fan not pulling in the pressure switch. Could be the gas valve...especially if its a smart valve. Green light on the side? Igniter/flame sensor???

Your best off replacing it then throw money at it IMO... Tankless? Why? Waste of money IMO although they do have thier place. Large familys or space restrictions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: