Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Trying to light my water heater goes out when I let go of the safety valve.

Old 02-22-13, 07:17 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Yesterday with a lot of wind from a storm, my water heater went out. Lighting the pilot I get a blue flame and it appears strong while I'm holding the safety valve. As soon as I let go, it goes out. I've tried for different lengths of time and it goes out every time. What's going on?

Old 02-22-13, 07:25 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Most likely cause is a failed thermocouple. The thermocouple is an electrical generating device that has one end engulfed by the pilot flame while the other end connects to a solenoid coil in the gas valve. Heating the thermocouple causes a small voltage (about 30 millivolts) to be generated and this in conjunction with the coil creates an electromagnet that hold the pilot valve open (maintaining the pilot flame) when you release the pilot button.

The other possible causes are too weak of a pilot flame thereby not allowing a sufficient voltage to be developed, a loose connection of the thermocouple at the gas valve and a defective coil in the gas valve itself.

Old 02-22-13, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
What is the max and model of the water heater? If the piolt does not stay lit its usually the thermocouple. These thermocouples are part of a pilot assembly now and get replaced as a whole unit. Pilot tube, t couple, and flame sensor....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: