40 G Bradford White gets hot water for one minute?

Old 03-10-13, 12:45 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
40 G Bradford White gets hot water for one minute?

Howdy everyone. New to this community.

The problem is that the hot water would last only one minute or so. Then the water gets lukewarm for about 3-4 minutes. Basically, the shower cannot be longer 5 minutes or it's getting cold water.

BTW, it bothers my GF but not me because I take cold showers all year around.

The pilot is on and the burning is working. I drained some water from the drain valve on the side of the tank and I got hot water. I am leaning towards the dip tube but I want to hear what the people have to say baout the problem.
Do dip tubes go bad on the gas water heater? Local Lowes and Home Depot don't carrey dip tubes. Do I have to buy it from the manufacturer?

Any help is appreicated.

Old 03-10-13, 12:53 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Depending on the age of the heater the dip tube is a very real possibility. Both of the mega-mart bib box home improvement centers in my area sell dip tubes as well as the old-time REAL hardware store. You should also be able to get a dip tube from a plumbing supply store.

If you cannot find a replacement dip tube (check first to see if that is the problem) AND you really don't want to replace the heater, you can instead pipe the incoming water to the drain valve connection. I would remove the existing drain valve and use a brass nipple, tee and new ball valve for the drain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: