Questions about my water heater

Old 03-11-13, 04:48 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about my water heater

I kept my post about my parent's water heater separate from my water heater to avoid confusion. My water heater is a 40 gallon Bradford. It is labeled 2004 with permanent marker on the side. I have several questions. Pictures are attached.

1) Does the vent piping look installed properly? Why is there an opening under the vent between the top of the water heater and the vent pipe? Isn't this vent supposed to remove combustion wastes?

2) The gas pipe nipple that collects the particles before it enters the water heater is non-existent. It looks like a 1" nipple and a cap right under the t before it goes to the water heater. Shouldn't this nipple be a few inches long? What is the recommended length?

3) I have some rust on the hot water nipple on top of the water heater. Unlike my parent's water heater, there is no leaking valve/pipe above the nipple. The nipple is rusting on its own. I do not see any water around the nipple. Is it worth even bothering to install a dielectric union since the water heater is 9 years old?

4) Besides the rusted nipple... the water heater appears to be in excellent working order and cosmetically looks new. If this were your house at what point would you replace this unit?

5) I'm not sure if the unit has ever been drained to release the buildup. Should I avoid draining it since its 9 years old?

Thanks all.

Old 03-11-13, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
1) Does the vent piping look installed properly? Why is there an opening under the vent between the top of the water heater and the vent pipe? Isn't this vent supposed to remove combustion wastes?
Yes it fine. Thats the draft hood. Its normal.

2) The gas pipe nipple that collects the particles before it enters the water heater is non-existent. It looks like a 1" nipple and a cap right under the t before it goes to the water heater. Shouldn't this nipple be a few inches long? What is the recommended length?

I believe 3". But you have 3/4" there... I know there is a formula... Gas is clean now and not like the old days. When you change the heater make it longer.....

3) I have some rust on the hot water nipple on top of the water heater. Unlike my parent's water heater, there is no leaking valve/pipe above the nipple. The nipple is rusting on its own. I do not see any water around the nipple. Is it worth even bothering to install a dielectric union since the water heater is 9 years old?
Hmmm. Thats a tough one. Was the one on the cold side changed????

4) Besides the rusted nipple... the water heater appears to be in excellent working order and cosmetically looks new. If this were your house at what point would you replace this unit?
I only replace my heaters when they start leaking. Where my heater is will cause no damage so it dont matter.

5) I'm not sure if the unit has ever been drained to release the buildup. Should I avoid draining it since its 9 years old?
Dont touch it. Many heaters I have drained per customers request that were old leaked with in weeks.....

Old 03-11-13, 05:40 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hmmm. Thats a tough one. Was the one on the cold side changed????
I never changed it. It appears to be original but it is not rusting.

Old 03-11-13, 06:07 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
That corrosion on the nipple is caused by galvanic action (electrically-caused corrosion) between the copper fitting and the steel nipple. I agree with Mike, don't do a thing until the heater starts leaking. My water heater was installed in February of 1999, I moved in here in December of '99 and it is still going okay. I DO blow out some water every year, some years more often than others, but at least once a year. I figure that I am on borrowed time but being on a limited income (retired) I'm going to wait until it leaks before I replace.

Old 03-11-13, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
I believe it leaked at one time.... I probably would change it although the anode rode may be part of the nipple and is the reason...If so your best to not touch it.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: