Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Did yearly maintenance on gas water heater, lost all hot water pressure

Did yearly maintenance on gas water heater, lost all hot water pressure

Old 03-14-13, 08:18 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Did yearly maintenance on gas water heater, lost all hot water pressure

Hello, I just followed the instructions to drain, clean, and refill my gas hot water heater here:

Water Heater Maintenance

After finishing, I seem to have no hot water pressure whatsoever. The water input is open, and (when turned on), hot water comes out of the pressure release valve AND the bottom drain. However, none seems to go through the house pipes and none comes out of any tap in the house. Cold water works fine.

I have tried emptying it completely, opening a hot tap in the house, and refilling the tank from scratch to try and get rid of any vapor lock, but it didn't work. When I tried that, air sputtered out of the faucet for awhile and I thought I must be getting somewhere, but eventually that just stopped and water still did not come out of the tank.

Here are two pics of my tank:

http://i.imgur.com/H3r1tA1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UPJGVXj.jpg

Any ideas before I break down and call a plumber? Deeply regretting ever performing "yearly maintenance" on my hot water heater, because I can already predict that someone will just try to sell me a new one.

Old 03-14-13, 08:35 PM
C
you didn't close any other valves did you?
Its gonna take a while to fill a 40 or 50 gal tank then push all the air out of the pipes. did you wait a while?

I

Old 03-14-13, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Probably heater is old and you stirred up sediment. Remove the aerators at each faucet and clean. Should fix your issue.

Old 03-14-13, 09:29 PM
L
I am no plumber but I'm 99% sure it's not a faucet issue - cold water runs from the faucets with no issue. There was certainly some sediment when I cleaned it, but much less than I expected actually and not enough to have caused a complete full stop at every tap unless the clog was at the hot water out pipe.

Re: waiting awhile, I waited all evening with the cold water input opened and a hot tap upstairs open. I could hear the tank fill after re-opening the cold water input, and then audibly stop filling when it was full. It just never seemed to go up the hot water out after.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: