AO Smith spark arrestor constantly stopping up.

Old 03-15-13, 07:36 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AO Smith spark arrestor constantly stopping up.

I have a AO Smith GCV 50 101 made in 2004 and the spark arrestor is constantly stopping up about every 3 to 6 months. The only way I have found to get it to last this long is to take the heater out, remove the bottom and vaccum the disk for several minutes and I'm getting too old to keep doing this. I know the reason and purpose for the spark arresting system, our government is good to us ain't it?

My question: Is there any safe way to remove the cermanic disk with out causing problems elsewhere in/for the heater, short of going and buying one of the newer heaters with the improved system?

Old 03-15-13, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums.

The pilot issue seems to be an ever occurring problem with this model.

This thread from last year is specifically about this subject.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/wa...water-hot.html

Since I can't answer your direct problem....... wait for Lawrosa to stop by. You might post your serial number here in the mean time.

Old 03-15-13, 01:28 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Model# GCV 50 101
ID# 9211704002
Serial# L04J112594
Manufacture Date: 11/25/2004

Old 03-15-13, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
My question: Is there any safe way to remove the cermanic disk with out causing problems elsewhere in/for the heater, short of going and buying one of the newer heaters with the improved system?
No you cant remove it. You will be bypassing a safety device if you do....

How are you vacuuming the disk? I make a tool of an ellbow and a piece of pipe...1/2 pvc and attach it to a shop vac.

Additionally you can remove the burner and reverse the vac to blow, and blow the disk from the top down. Plus when you remove the burner you may see a lot of crude ontop of the disk...

Lastly... Yes... Buy a new heater. AO smith stopped the 100 series with the disk in 2007.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: