Jackhammer Noise in Water Heater Every Spring

Old 03-16-13, 06:12 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jackhammer Noise in Water Heater Every Spring

We have a jackhammer in our water heater every morning that begins every Feb or March. In fact, just started again this morning. It usually lasts about a month. Starts every morning and makes the noise sporadically for 10-45 min.
We've had several different plumbers out over the last two years; they each said everything is fine with the water heater and that it's the city. The city insists we need a new water heater. Both years our back flow valve was damaged and replaced which stopped the noise for a few days but then it started back up.
At this point I just want to know what's causing it. If it were our water heater doesn't seem like it would be on such a consistent annual schedule. We had a PRV installed two years ago. It's also definitely not a woodpecker and it's not water hammer (though we do have that too).

Old 03-16-13, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,614 Votes on 1,486 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Do you also have an expansion tank at your water heater ?
With a back flow valve I sure hope so.

Old 03-16-13, 12:38 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think it's the heater either since it doesn't know what time of year it is. Does the city do certain maintenance that time of year?

Old 03-16-13, 01:30 PM
K
Yes, we do have an expansion tank.

Old 03-16-13, 01:33 PM
K
Not sure whether there is maintenance, but I'm thinking it's got to be something like that. We've had the city out 3-4 times but never asked that specific question. I may go and ask tomorrow. The city personnel that came out were convinced we just needed a new WH so they weren't very forthcoming with solutions or info.

Old 03-16-13, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,614 Votes on 1,486 Posts
Without having a pressure gauge in the system it'll be tough to figure exactly what is going on.

I'm also wondering if the expansion tank is still working.

Old 03-16-13, 02:03 PM
K
We replaced the expansion tank last year (even though the old one appeared to be working correctly). Unfortunately that didn't help either.

Old 03-16-13, 04:47 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Why don't you buy a pressure gauge that goes on the hose bib? Open the valve & watch it for fluctuations. Keep a record of pressure changes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: