Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

First HW tank swap in 25 years, do I need an extra pressure/expansion tank now?

Old 03-16-13, 10:10 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I heard that the thing to do now a days is to add a seperate tank on the supply side when swapping the old hot water tank. I currently do not have one of these tanks and I do not have high water pressure. If the old tank lasted 25 years without one, do I need one?

I live up on a hill and I have 40 psi on a good day, typically more like 35 psi. Do I need to add some sort of a tank?

Another question .... my piping is copper direct to the tank now, I noticed that my supply connection is realy corroded. Do I need to consider some sort of a dielectric conection to eliminate electrolysis?

Old 03-16-13, 10:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I assume you are referring to an expansion tank. I had never heard of one and have never owned a home that had one..... but my current place is the only one that wasn't on a well. I also live on top of a hill but can only dream of 40 psi, my norm is 20-30 psi. I replaced my 20+ yr old WH last year and neither one has ever seemed to have an issue without an expansion tank.

..... but I'm just a painter who dislikes doing plumbing work. Better advice should be forth coming from those that know more than me

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: