required distance between tank water heater and gas hob

Old 03-19-13, 03:34 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
required distance between tank water heater and gas hob

hello everybody
I have an electric tank water heater that I have to install on top of a gas hob in the kitchen,

please what are the minimal distances I have to keep between the two devices ?

Old 03-19-13, 03:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I have no idea what a gas "hob" is. Since this is mainly a north American forum, we may not know your terminologies, nor your code restrictions, and since you didn't fill out your profile, we have no idea where you live.

Old 03-19-13, 03:58 AM
O
LOL , thank you anyway for your quick response,

I've made a search, it seems that you call it in the US "a gas cooktop" ? if it still doesn't make sens to you, here I attached a picture of it :

http://kolkata.sliceindia.com/PaidRe...PLGC36S9EC.jpg

I'm working on updating my profile, However I don't need to meet any local regulations, all I need is the safest distances and precautions.

Thank you very much

Old 03-19-13, 04:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Any combustible material must be at least 24" above the cooktop, here. Not only for safety, but to keep from bonking your head when you lean over the stove
If you have the option, I would install a vent hood over the stove to help carry out the odors and moisture created by cooking, as well as forming a non combustible barrier between the flame and the other combustible stuff. Not sure if your set up will allow that or not.

Old 03-19-13, 04:29 AM
O
You are right about the vent hood, I've completely forgot about it.

So I have to choose another place for the water tank. anyway, back to the question: is there any distances that should be kept between the water tank and a source of fire ? thank's

Old 03-19-13, 04:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,256 Upvotes on 2,009 Posts
I do not know of any required distance from a stove/hob especially since you are installing an electric water heater. Like Chandler mentioned I think it has more to do with working in the kitchen. You don't want to waste a prime cabinet location on a water heater and you don't want it somewhere you will be banging your head.

Usually I have always seen tank style water heaters under the counter somewhere or if mounted above they are stuck as high as possible in a corner. Tankless heaters are much more commonly mounted to a kitchen wall. I have seen a couple apartments in France where it was next to the hob/stove and enclosed by cabinetry to match the rest of the kitchen.

In the USA the bigger concern would be the electrical close to the sink and it's water. Our codes would probably require the wiring to be inside conduit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: