Installing indirect tank off a gas boiler

Old 03-26-13, 08:06 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing indirect tank off a gas boiler

Hi,
I have been reading this forum for a quite a while and have gotten a tremendous amount of useful information, but this is my first time actually asking a question.

I currently have a 120k BTU Dunkirk gas boiler heating my 800 sq ft apartment with slant fin baseboards. I did a heat loss calculation for my building and I estimate it to be 50% oversized. It is a cold start boiler.

I currently use 40 gallon electric tank for hot water and we routinely run out of hot water since we like taking long baths and showers. The tank is fairly new - probably 5 years old.

I'm thinking of getting a 40 gallon indirect and running it off the boiler. I read everywhere that indirects have a great recovery rate compared to the electrics(which have the worst) so it seems like a good idea to put one in. I also don't like the idea of the boiler just sitting there all summer doing nothing.

I would be interested in hearing if this sounds like a valid solution to my hot water problem. Also has anyone recently changed from electric to indirect and can comment on the performance difference.

One of my concerns is that since the Dunkirk is cold start, will it affect the recovery rate in the summer? Seems like it might take a while for the boiler to heat up from the ambient temperature to heat the indirect.

Old 03-26-13, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I currently have a 120k BTU Dunkirk gas boiler heating my 800 sq ft apartment
WELCOME......

Should the landlord take care you issues? Why are you messing with it?

Old 03-26-13, 09:29 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am the landlord. I occupy one of the apartments in a three family building.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: