Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Pilot light goes out 5 minutes; control valve and thermocouple replaced

Old 04-12-13, 03:34 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My just-out-of-warranty Whirlpool 40 gallon gas hot water heater has an issue whereby the pilot will light manually, the burner will come on, and then the pilot and burner go off after 5 minutes or so. Sears came out and said I need a new gas control valve and thermocouple, and, by the way, $630 to pay Sears to perform the repair. We have two hot water heaters connected in series, so we are not out of hot water, we just don't have as much. I bought a new gas control valve and replaced it...same symptom. I bought a universal thermocouple from Home Depot and replaced it today...same symptom. There is a two wire thermal switch mounted to the same assembly as the burner, pilot light and thermocouple. Could the thermal switch be failing in a way such that it allows me to light the pilot and burner but then activates after 5 minutes or so? There is nothing else it could be in my inexperienced opinion...the pilot has a strong blue flame and the burner burns as should...

Old 04-12-13, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Probably clogged with lint. Its sealed burner right? There is an air intake grill in there. vacuum from underneath. Need to make a tool to get in there.

You spent some money already... I would have just replaced it.... AO smith I use, install, and recommend... get at your local Ferguson dealer.

Look up air intake cleaning for whirlpool heaters....

Old 04-12-13, 04:43 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply

lawrosa, good information! my mistake could be trusting the repair folks and their analysis. I will definitely look at (and I bet need to clean) the air intake on the bottom (it is a sealed burner unit as you surmised)

Old 04-12-13, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
What happens is the chamber starves for air , overheats the chamber, and trips the thermal sensor. Since the unit is older that is the design. New models are different with a manual reset....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: