Pressure Valve Wont Stop Leakink

Old 04-14-13, 07:54 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pressure Valve Wont Stop Leakink

The pressure release valve (side mounted) was pouring out hot water. I replaced the valve and that fixed the problem....for a couple hours.

Then hot water just started pouring out of the tube again. I checked the water pressure coming into the house and its fine. I also turned the temp down as low as it could go and it's still pouring out.

It's a gas tank and it's 22 years old. Is there anything else I can go. I really don't have the money to replace the unit right now.

thanks in advance...

Old 04-14-13, 08:05 AM
T
OK, ignore this post, I can't delete it. I see now you're talking about a hot water heater not a boiler.

Does the system have an bladder type expansion tank? I had the same problem and replacing the tank fixed it. It may be shot or just need to be correctly pressurized.

Old 04-14-13, 09:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
As toolmon says, you may need to install an overpressurization bladder tank on the cold water inlet side. You said the water pressure was fine, but what was it? At what temperature did you set the thermostat? 22 years, you're on borrowed time, IMO. The valve is doing its job properly.

Old 04-14-13, 10:14 AM
M
Pressure was at 60 psi...yeah...I figured it was just about time to replace it...also just noticed a small leak from under the tank ...was just trying to find a temporary solution until I get my commission check in a few weeks...with funds being extreemly low...

Old 04-14-13, 11:11 AM
Band Aids come in big boxes, but not that big At least you are making plans. Keep the temperature lower than normal and don't circumvent the T&P valve.

Old 04-14-13, 04:40 PM
M
I found a used one for $100...should be a good to fix...can't get it till Wednesday though.. Would it be smart to put the heater on pilot and turn off the water going in at night so it doesn't get hot and pour out because we are not using it?

Old 04-14-13, 05:08 PM
You're asleep, why heat water?? It's not the best scenario, so you need to monitor it closely when you do heat water.

Old 04-15-13, 03:22 AM
M
It's me again... I turned the pilot to the tank back on this morning and now the flame is really loud. I can hear it all the way upstairs...there is no gas smell and its turned down to its lowest setting. Is the normal?

Old 04-15-13, 03:27 AM
No it is not normal. I know it is crunch time, but you need to cut your losses and possibly go with the $100 unit until you can do the proper sizing and replacement. It gets into a danger situation, now, and you can't have that.

Old 04-15-13, 03:46 AM
M
Well thats not good....OK...going to look at the 100$ one tonight...should I just keep this one off then?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: