Second Indirect Water Heater leaking after 5 months

Old 04-15-13, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Second Indirect Water Heater leaking after 5 months

I installed a Crown Megastore (stainless steel) Indirect 40 gal back in 2010 and after 2.5 years it started leaking. The warranty covered a replacement unit, and now after about 5 months I have another leak. It's a small puddle on the floor about 6-8" in diameter. I took the plastic cover off the top, and the underside of the cover and the small piece of foam insulation was saturated with cold water. It does not appear to be leaking from the hand-hole cover, and I'm only seeing puddles after prolonged periods of hot water usage (showers,dishwasher, laundry, etc.) I cannot see where it is leaking from as all the pipe connections are dry. Is there something else I should be checking here? To have another tank leak so quickly makes me think it's something else. Could it be condensation? Water pressure? I'm at a loss.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-13, 09:30 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like a defective heater. You could check the water pressure at the hose bib but I doubt it's that.. 60 pounds is average.

Old 04-18-13, 05:26 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
My first thought was condensation, not too sure why. As I finished reading your post, I am still thinking it is condensation.
Where is the hotwater tank located within your house?
Is it hot, cold, dry and/or humid in this location?

Locating where the water is coming from will be the biggest thing. I think it would leak more sitting then in use as the pressure in the unit would be less with flowing water.

Old 04-18-13, 08:30 AM
It's in the basement, right next to the boiler. No change recently in temp or humidity that I know of. I can't really see where it's coming from as it's encased in foam and plastic. It's a slow leak, I get a small puddle like 2-3" in diameter each day.

I called the manufacturer and they also said it sounds like a defective tank. I guess I just have bad luck (no real surprise).

Old 04-18-13, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
Yes call back the manufacturer and have it looked at under warranty....

Find out what the fault is and where this one and the last one leak from.

Installer issue? Is it the tank quality? I would possibly go with a different brand if its the manufacturers issue.

Old 04-19-13, 09:15 AM
The last time they warranteed it they didn't ask for the tank back, just the serial number and hand hole cover. I thoroughly inspected that tank and could not find any holes. It appears to be of good quality.

The guy I spoke to said usually what happens is a leak develops on a seam. Sometimes with the tig welds they have problems where it can rust out over time.

The first was installed by a licensed plumber. I swapped it out the first time it leaked. I also would like to try another manufacturer, but the problem is it was an $800 tank and it has a lifetime warranty. So I would be out a lot of money by switching to another manuf. The other thing is, I'm sure all the piping would have to be redone because it wouldn't be the same on a different brand tank.

Old 09-18-14, 10:20 PM
I saw your post and I have a megatore msh 53. installed May 2013. It works great, mine is in a crawl space and I have it in a pan connected to a pump so if it leaks it wont flood my crawl. I notice the other day that the pan had dried water stain in it and i saw water stains below the front cover where the pipes connect, I pulled off the cover and the lower part of the foam was wet. I call my plumber who installed it and he came an inspected it. He said it was condensation. But my question is why did it not condensate last year??? I will be keeping an eye one it. What did you finally do in your situation.
David

Old 09-24-14, 07:40 AM
Shortly after my last post it just stopped leaking. It hasn't leaked since, so I guess it was nothing serious. I still check all the time because that was very strange. I think having a pan under it is a great idea. I wish I had done that.