Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Gas water heater making noises when other water is turned on in the house

Old 04-30-13, 02:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've noticed recently that whenever I turned on the washing machine, the dishwasher, or when someone turns on water in the house that my water heater has been making noises that sounds like ice being poured into a cooler. It's not quite a sizzle, nor is it hammering and it definitely is coming from the heater.

Any suggestions? It's about 8 years old and unfortunately I haven't been doing any maintenance on it, nor do I know of any maintenance that needs to be done on a gas water heater.

Old 04-30-13, 04:53 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
All water heaters need to have some of the water drained out of the bottom at least once a year.
Reason being is all the minerals settle on the bottom of the tank. After a while it gets so thick it will no longer heat up the water.
Simple as hooking up a garden hose to the drain on the bottom of the tank and letting it drain for a few min.
No need to shut it off.

Old 04-30-13, 07:50 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So you think the noise is just build up of minerals and a flush would take care of the noise?

Old 05-01-13, 06:04 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No way to know unless you try it.
If it's not been drained for a long time the build up may just keep plugging up the drain valve.
May have to remove the hose if it stops up and poke a metal coat hanger in the hole to break it up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: