Hot water recirculating system

Old 05-09-13, 10:35 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot water recirculating system

I have had a hot water recirculating system (constant hot water) for the past ten years with no problems, in a home which I have just sold. My new home (six years old)has a system which was seldom used, and is not working. I have installed a new pump but it also is not performing. It is hooked up to a T joint at the drain outlet at the bottom of the water heater. Since the outlet will not drain, even with the cold water inlet open, I suspect this is my problem. The loop seems ok as when I open the shutoff valve to the pump, hot water will flow through the pump out the drain. But as soon as I close the drain, no water flows through the pump. Is it possible to attempt to force water(from a faucet) back through the drain into the water heater to open it up, or is there a better solution? Suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 05-09-13, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Is it possible to attempt to force water(from a faucet) back through the drain into the water heater to open it up, or is there a better solution? Suggestions will be appreciated.
Its under pressure now so I dont think that will work. Possible stick a coat hanger up the valve to try to unclogg it.

Your best off removing the drain valve and installing a full port ball valve.... You could try a compressor. Shut the feed and open a hot faucet. You may get sediment out the faucet though.

How old is the heater? It may be more cont effective to just replace the heater if there is that much sediment in it.

Old 05-12-13, 05:29 AM
D
Thanks for you prompt reply. You were correct on the idea of forcing water into the drain as it didn't work. I guess my next step will be to drain the tank by opening hot faucets and then try your idea of a coat hanger. Could you give more info on the "full port ball valve" you mention as I am not familiar with that. The age of the tank is six years and has had limited use, however, the water in this area is very hard and I assume there is considerable sediment in the tank. Other than the circulating pump not working there is no other issue. Thanks

Old 05-12-13, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
This is the typical valve. The opening is small and of washer design.

This is a full port valve. Basically a ball valve. I usually remove the factory valve and install this set up on water heaters I install.

And here for your reading pleasure....

Sediment, scale in water heaters

Old 05-12-13, 08:30 PM
D
Many thanks for the information and reading material.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: