Not much hot water in shower only

Old 05-13-13, 08:06 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not much hot water in shower only

I have an issue where my shower runs out of hot water in 6-8 minutes. It stays cool for another 4 minutes or so, then gets hot again, then cools off again, and so on.

I have an oil furnace with a coil inside for heating the hot water (pretty new to all of this, excuse the terminology). I had someone come do a check on the furnace and they claim the issue is not there. They ran the water in my basement for quite a while and it stayed hot there.

They suggested that something is wrong with the shower unit itself. I believe they used the word "filter", though they might've said valve having done a bit of reading online.

It looks to me that if a valve is the issue, the water would be consistently cool because hot water flow would be restricted. This is not what I'm seeing. I also can't see how a filter would cause the temperature of the water to go up and down throughout the shower.

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-13-13, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
What type of shower valve do you have? post a pic.

HW is good everywhere else???

Old 05-13-13, 08:20 AM
M
I should add that my shower has one handle that adjusts left/right to control the temperature. If I turn it fully to hot or cold, the rate of flow does not change.

Old 05-13-13, 08:23 AM
M
I'll get back to you with a pic tonight. Thanks!

Old 05-13-13, 10:18 AM
M
Old 05-13-13, 10:31 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Have you tried running the tap fully on hot for 10 minutes or so to see what happens?
If the water goes cold with the tap all the way on hot, it's more then likely not the mixing valve.
If the water simply stops flowing, it's the valve more then likely.

I have a failing valve in one of our bathrooms. When I turn the water on (its a single handle, goes from off --> cold --> warm --> hot), it will sometimes not produce any water until I get into the hot water range.

Old 05-13-13, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Thats a thermostatic valve. One for on , one for temp control. The thermostatic spool is probably faulty.

Whats the name brand on that faucet?

Additionally what is the HI/LO/DIFF setting at the boilers aquastat?????

Does the boiler have a mixing valve also????

Old 05-14-13, 04:56 AM
M
I will get the hi/low settings tonight - I tried increasing the settings a while ago, but as I should've expected that only increased the temperature - the hot water doesn't last any longer.

The brand of the shower unit is Delta.

This morning during my shower I waited for the water to get cold. I had the tap set all the way to hot with no reduction in flow. I got out and ran the hot water in the bathroom sink, and that water stayed red hot for over a minute. I got back into the shower and the water was still cold.

Also, I discovered that the person who came to inspect our situation felt that the issue might be a filter in the shower unit itself, though I'm not sure how a filter might cause the temperature to go up and down - but I'm no expert!

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 05-14-13, 03:45 PM
M
I have the settings from my furnace:

Boiler temperature: 160
High limit: 190
Low limit: 165
High differential: 11
Low differential: 14

Old 05-16-13, 07:38 PM
D
Moen Faucets

Single handled Moen faucets use a cartridge that has a temperature balancing core. If the core sticks, no hot water. I usually get calls to replace them from people with beach houses that set idle all winter. Come spring, no hot water in the shower only. Basically you replace the cartridge or take it out and tap it back and forth sometimes will unstick it. You can get them at Lowes or Home depot for around $35.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: