Blown upper element several times

Old 05-23-13, 05:13 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blown upper element several times

Purchased a Rheem Marathon Hot Water Heater 4.5 years ago. About a year ago, no hot water. Plumber came over and said the upper element was blown. He replaced both upper and lower elements. The upper one had some scaly deposits but the lower one was clean. Water worked fine for about 5 months. Then same thing. Power company that sold me the heater came and again replaced the upper element. Some deposits but not too much. He also replaced both thermostats (I think both). About 5 months later, same thing no hot water. Power company came again, replaced the upper element. Filled the tank measured voltage on upper element, thermostats and waited until the thermostat kicked on the lower element. Water worked fine for 5 days, now no hot water. What could be the problem?? The power company has decided to replace the entire heater with a new one but still don't know why this has happened??

Old 05-23-13, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,099 Upvotes on 3,682 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

As far as what I've seen that is a pretty rare problem. I haven't had that issue with very short element life with any I've changed. If I had to make a guess it almost sounds like they were using 120v elements in a 240v water heater......as strange as it sounds.

Old 05-24-13, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
How is your water supply? If the water goes out and the water level in the tank goes below the element while there is current to it - the element will burn out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: