RV gas hot water heater

Old 05-24-13, 07:16 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
RV gas hot water heater

I am working on a Suburban gas hot water heater with a standing pilot. Replaced the thermocouple and pilot tube, replaced the temperature and gas control valve (part #161111). Gas supply pressure is 13"wc, thermocouple will read to 20 millivolts, have continuity across the EOC. Thermocouple is attached finger tight, then a 1/4 turn with a wrench which leaves a slight dimple in the tab on the EOC. Turn the black knob to pilot and light the pilot, hold for 45 sec and longer, release pressure on black knob and pilot goes out. Numerous attempts and the pilot goes out. Tryed going from pilot to on and the pilot goes out and no fire to heat the water. I have stripped a spot on the wire from the EOC to try to get a millivolt reading but it reads 0. Should I be able to get a reading from the stripped wire and ground if the thermocouple is making contact with the EOC? I have noted that there is continuity between the stripped wire and ground. Should this be? Somehow the gas valve is not getting the signal from the thremocouple and I can't seem resolve this problem. Help is appreciated.

Old 05-24-13, 09:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,090 Upvotes on 3,673 Posts
Is it a good strong pilot flame ? That's important.

Post the model number for your Suburban unit.

Old 05-25-13, 05:46 AM
D
The model is SW8PE. The pilot flame is good (20 millivolt reading on thermocouple). Thanks.

Old 05-25-13, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
ECO= electrical cut off

Yes....you should be getting your 20 millivolts thru the ECO. Is the ECO shorted to ground ?

The following are two good links to service manuals for Suburban heaters.

Suburban gas water heater - PDF
Suburban gas water heater - PDF/c

Manuals hosted by Bryant RV Service

Old 05-25-13, 08:52 PM
D
Thanks for the links. Changed out the thermocouple again. When installed, the previous new thermocouple was grounding out. Pilot is on and all is well.

Old 05-25-13, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Awesome news...... thanks for the update.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: