AO Smith Water Heater

Old 05-25-13, 06:54 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AO Smith Water Heater

The water heater would not stay lit so I figured it needed a new thermal couple but I found out this water heater won't take a regular thermal couple you can buy at home depot. The model is GCVL 40 100. I picked up the part yesterday, a pilot assembly for the AO Smith water heater and now the pilot is fine but the gas won't come on, which was not the problem before. I wonder if the guy (a handyman) installed it wrong. Anyway I'm researching online to figure out next steps. The pilot lights just fine (as it did before) but now when I turn up the temp the gas won't kick on. It did yesterday but would not stay lit for more than a few hours(?). I'm not exactly sure how long because it is a rental and the tenants don't watch it. I did clean it out with a vacuum the night before.

BTW, when we took out the burner assembly to put the new pilot assembly in I noticed some carbon build up on the burner right where the spark would hit. I sanded it off. I hope that did not cause the problem. I read there is some part you should not touch with your hands because the oil from your hands would ruin it but can't remember what part that is...

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Old 05-25-13, 08:46 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Off the top of my head, whatever you sanded clogged the opening. Look at it again.

Old 05-27-13, 11:52 AM
J
I went back the next day and it worked just fine. Maybe the TCO(?) needed to reset?? Anyway, I haven't hear if it stayed lit. The tenants must be out of town.

Thank you for the reply!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: