water heater broken, no cold water in shower

Old 05-26-13, 05:33 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water heater broken, no cold water in shower

My hot water heater broke, leaking out the bottom. I drained it, turned off the cold and hot water supply valves. Weird problem... I have cold water everywhere in the house BUT the shower. It's a single handle shower faucet, but then so is the rest of the faucets that do get cold water. Not sure if this contributes to the problem, but when you use that shower handle cold water comes out when you turn it to the hot water side and hot water comes out when you turn the handle to the cold side. Any idea what the heck is the problem?

Old 05-26-13, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you could have one of those anti scald balancing valves. They require water on the hot and cold side to operate properly. You are getting cold and cold water....right ?
You can't be getting hot water if the hot water heater is shut off.

Old 05-26-13, 05:45 PM
B
Hey PJ max...I'm getting no water at all in the shower. Cold everywhere else! But bone dry in the shower.

Old 05-26-13, 05:54 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That's because the balancing valve needs pressure on both sides to work.
Just go replace the water hear and it will all work again.
Make sure to remove all the aeriators and shower head and flush the lines once it's done.
Make sure to open up the hot side of the faucets to make 100% sure the heater is full of water!

Old 05-26-13, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
when you use that shower handle cold water comes out when you turn it to the hot water side and hot water comes out when you turn the handle to the cold side.
How could you be getting hot water if the WH is cut off?

And then you said
I'm getting no water at all in the shower.
A bit confusing....

If I'm understanding correctly...the reason for the first issue in the past is that the cartridge is 180 degrees out of whack.

And the reason you are probably getting NO water now is as PJmax said. You need pressure on both sides for the shower to work. Is there another shower or tub in the home with the EXACT same valve as the inop shower? (Was this another bit of info you were holding back? lol)

Old 05-26-13, 06:02 PM
B
Thanks! I just wanted to know that there was a reasonable explanation, that I would get hot water back once the heater is replaced. It's getting replaced Tuesday, but I haven't showered since Thursday, sponge baths for me. I will never take the convenience of a shower for granted again!

Old 05-26-13, 06:05 PM
B
Hey Gunguy, guess my question was confusing. I have no water at all in the shower, but I do have cold water available everywhere else. The water heater is getting replaced Tuesday, and according to PjMax and Joecaption I should be good to go. The other bathroom is gone, I gutted it last week in preparation for reno, but then it had the same shower faucet as well.

Old 05-26-13, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Make sure to remove all the aeriators and shower head and flush the lines once it's done.
Be sure and do that before doing the line flush...it will save some headaches.

And be sure you flush all lines of air bubbles before firing up the heater. In fact make sure they open the outlet and a few faucets before opening the cold inlet...will help prevent any air lock.

And whats the problem with a cold shower...makes you "strong like bull!!".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: