AO Smith HWH- burner flame question

Old 05-28-13, 06:44 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AO Smith HWH- burner flame question

I have a GVC 40 100 natural gas heater about 8 years old. I was having the problem described in this forum of the pilot going out frequently. It came on suddenly over just a few days. After reading this forum I vacuumed the underside of the cordite filter using 1/2" copper pipe and elbow and the pilot light problem seems to be solved- it has been on for 4 or 5 days now. The filter that is supposed to cover the two air intake slots was missing so I am sure a lot of dust has passed into the air intake. I made a new filter out of fine mesh window screen. The heater seems to be operating normally with a mostly blue and steady pilot and a mostly blue burner flame. My question is...... WHen I look into the little glass window when the burner is on, I see above the burner flame a roughly circular pattern of bright glowing something- I am not sure what---- it looks like there may be some debris above the burner or on the underside of the tank which is being heated incandescent by the burner flame. That does not seem normal....Is it? I don't feel competent to remove the inner door and work on the burner- I am thinking that I need to get a technician to work on it. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Old 05-28-13, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
What you describe sounds like the flue tube. This has a baffle installed in it. Yes it will glow red... Sounds normal to me.

If you see something directly on top of the burner then that's a different story.

Old 06-03-13, 08:05 PM
C
Baffle on the Burner??

Lawrosa,
My HWH was in Lockout and I have followed your advice on other threads. I came across this one with a similar problem. I found what I think is a baffle on top of the burner. Looked like a burnt potato chip (curled up with a square hole in the center). My HWH is a State GS675HRVIT and it's warranty just expired in Dec 2012. I removed it, and the HWH seems to be working fine...am I good to go or is there safety/performance issue.....I'd really hate to have to replace a water heater after only 6.25 years especially one with a 6 year warranty.... Any help would be great.

Old 06-03-13, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Was it the baffle as in this pic?

Or the Burner screen.. NOX?

Old 06-06-13, 06:20 AM
C
Lawrosa,
It is definitely not the screen, but it doesn't look like the top pic, but close. There is another piece hanging down in the vent tube. I can just barely manipulate it and it seems to be on a hinge. I will try and post a pic of the piece I pulled off the burner. The HWH is still working fine, I just don't want to gas out my family......death sucks....

Not sure if the pic posted.....I can't limit the size below 1.4 MB

Attached Images  
Old 06-06-13, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
Yes show a pic.

The baffle as in pic #1 comes out from the top. Remove the vent and pull the baffle out. Inspect it.

Old 06-06-13, 06:36 AM
C
Lawrosa,
You are awesome with the knowledge. I edited my post with the pic. It showed up.

Old 06-06-13, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Looks like baffle to me.

The baffle can still be used. Just make sure its a clean break and nothing further is blocking the tube/vent passage.

Let us know...

Old 06-09-13, 12:58 PM
C
Thanks Lawrosa.....I will check the baffle and flow using the techniques described in the other forum threads. Thanks for the expertise!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: