IMI TRIBUNE 2 UNVENTED ELECTRICAL HEATER not heating water

Old 05-29-13, 01:29 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
IMI TRIBUNE 2 UNVENTED ELECTRICAL HEATER not heating water

My water stopped heating up so there was obviously a problem with our water heater. A builder friend of mine checked it and said it looked as if the elements had gone, because the electrics were all working fine. I got a guy to come round and mend what I thought would be a simple fix. Apparently the parts needed which are the elements (top and bottom)are now obsolete -. One minute I got this quote -

- Drain down system- Replace top and bottom elements- Refill system and test - Price 390 + vat

Then 20 minutes later I got this quote:
Quote - Drain down system and remove existing cylinder- Install new cylinder- Refill and test - Price 1900 + vat
My question is this; To a professional, is it reasonable for the job to jump 1500 in cost simply because the elements cant be found?
Some advice would be greatly appreciated Also is it possible these elements can be found? Im looking at the moment.

Old 05-29-13, 01:54 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Yes, you should look for a source for the elements, beginning by contacting the heater manufacturer. Ask your friend why the price went up so much? What is he planning to use for the replacement elements if they can't be found? Possibly universal elements? Compare to the cost of a new heater. And then get a couple of additional, independent quotes.

Electric storage heaters in the U.S. can easily run $3,000 or more. They are rated by power (kW) and capacity (gal). Do you have the option for a natural gas-fired heater? They are much less expensive for initial cost and for operating cost compared to electric heaters (at least in North America).

Old 05-29-13, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 909 Upvotes on 767 Posts
The 2nd quote is for replacing the water heater with a new one. I can't comment on the price but I agree that I would see if you could find some elements online if the existing tank (cylinder) is in OK shape.

A quick search on Google shows new heaters start at 822 just for the heater. Then add labor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: