Old 06-03-13, 09:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yep! Another AO Smith Water Heater

AO Smith GVR 50 100 #9211706005

SN: D07J054578

Orange Tag: 180C 183828 -181 760-312

Heater Manufacture Date (on unit): 4/26/2007
ON Warranty Wizard: 5/7/2007 (??? Why are they different?)

Warranty Wizard says 6 year warranty and I have to prove installation date. It was manufactured 6 years and 27 days ago... I think it's reasonable that I have a couple weeks/months left? Second owner of house... How do I prove installation date?

Issue: Cold water this morning, attempted to relight pilot, no joy. Cold showers for everyone! Searched forums, found all of Lawrosa's wonderful directions!

What I did: Reading on older forum posts, I followed the pilot lighting directions through the little glass sealed window. It fired up right away, but blows out the moment you release the button. Tried multiple times, holding for 60-90-120 seconds by the end to condition it (from youtube video?).

Round Two What I did: Back to the forums - found the discussions about cleaning the filter and set out to construct my vacuum tool, cleaned disk, brushed disk, vacuumed again. No joy. Pilot won't stay lit.

What to do now? Replace the thermocouple? I don't feel like I have the skill to do such a thing considering the seals on the unit and my general lack of handyman-ness.

Found AO Smith website - US number 1-800-365-8170 Call them to ask for a certified technician in my area?

HELP! Family of six, not happy about cold showers again...

Last edited by 3ripmav; 06-03-13 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer/logic!
Old 06-03-13, 10:51 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
There are only two reasons why the pilot goes out when you release the knob, either the thermocouple is shot or the holding coil in the gas valve is shot. Thermocouple is much more common. If it is the holding coil then you would have to replace the entire gas valve thermostat assembly.

I'd definitely try a replacement thermocouple but if it is the gas valve then it is wisest to replace the entire water heater.

Old 06-04-13, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
If you can get it done under warranty have the pilot assembly replaced... Its part of the thermocouple and not separate.

If not under warranty then that repaire will probably be close to the price of a new heater.

Your call. Its the 100 series so it has the disk issue, but your issue just sounds like the thermocouple....

Like I said only if you can get it done under warranty will it make sense IMO...

Old 06-04-13, 12:26 PM
AO Smith warranty department is horrible!

I am 28 days and six years after the MANUFACTURE DATE of the heater and they say I have no warranty because I am the second owner and I cannot verify the installation date...

Looks like a new water heater! Definitely not an AO Smith... Any brand recommentations?

Also sad - I wanted to go to a tankless system and they are quoting me a $2000 installation charge!

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

David

Old 06-04-13, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
I am 28 days and six years after the MANUFACTURE DATE of the heater and they say I have no warranty because I am the second owner and I cannot verify the installation date...
How old is the house? Did you install this heater? It goes by the closing date of the home if you did, or the original owners.

Yes you do have a warranty if you can verify the install date.. Look for a mark from the installer on the tank, or in the water heater pape4rwork that should be on the side of the heater.

AO Smith warranty department is horrible!
Really one of the best in the industry. Not sure why you feel that way...

I only reccomend AO smith. Possibly a bradford white through the gas company. Thats all I would recommend. Its all I would install myself.

Also sad - I wanted to go to a tankless system and they are quoting me a $2000 installation charge!

Why tankless? Is there a reason? Tankless do cost more to install, and have thier issues too. More electronics and controls to go wrong. Wait until you need to call for service on one of them...

Just my opinion of course...

Old 06-06-13, 02:18 PM
Second owner - first was repo'd on, so house was bank owned when I bought - no paperwork of any kind. Appears the heater was installed by the builder.

I was frustrated with AO's warranty people because after three calls and being told three different things, I don't have any warranty claim. I finally spoke with a supervisor - net result --> warranty is NON-TRANSFERABLE and since the original owner never registered it and the only paperwork that is accepted by AO Smith to prove the closing date are confidential documents, only the original owner can get them. Thus no warranty.

The plus side was during this last phone call, the supervisor walked me through a little exercise with the heater and we got it working! Well for a couple hours, here's how:

He directed me to unscrew the brass wire coming out of the temperature control box, then place it back in, hand-tighten and turn it a 1/4 turn with the pliers. Then go through the normal pilot lighting, being sure to hold it for at least 60 seconds. It stayed on and fired up right away! Some point after two hours but before four hours, it went out. Following the same procedure, it worked again, did this for the last couple days when we needed the hot water, stalling while I researched my options. This morning the pilot would not stay on after attempting the method above about 5-6 times over 30+ mins. I have resolved to buying a new water heater tonight unless you can think of a fix due to this new data.

As for the tankless, I've been fascinated by them since seeing them on a home repair show about 15 years ago. Further research has assured me that a water softener system is almost a requirement and with the huge install price tag, I think we're resolved to going back to a tank system.

Your thoughts?

Thank you in advance!!

David

Old 06-06-13, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
With all water heaters and warranties, the install date is what really counts and not the manufactured dates. Very often, a heater can sit in a distribution center, dealers shop or even in a contractors shop since special pricing is offered at times.

As a home inspector, I inspected (pre-purchase inspection) a house with a 10 year old heater (manufacturing date) and the house was only 5 years ago, so the service time was only 5 years maximum.

Dick

Old 06-06-13, 05:05 PM
Per AO Smith Warranty Department Supervisor (JC) - warranties are not transferable to second owner, if there is time "left" on the warranty it is usually granted to the new owner. If the unit was never registered the manufacture date is set as the install date and can only be changed up a HUD 1 Application or a "Certificate of Occupancy" document, both of which are confidential documents belonging to the home's initial purchaser. Tax documents from the county are NOT valid in proving occupancy date.

So no, it defaults to the manufacture date per AO Smith policy (not logic).

No warranty for me...

The big question is, is there a simple fix? I'm going to breakdown and order a new filter tonight/early tomorrow morning if no one has any ideas...

David

Old 06-06-13, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
warranties are not transferable to second owner,
Thats false as far as I know. I have done warranty work and was an ao smith rep. Does not matter who owns the home. Just when its borderline warranty it needs documentation.

You can go to the town and get a copy of when the CO was issued. That should cover you.

You need a new pilot assembly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: