converting from gas to electric water heater

Old 06-19-13, 04:54 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
converting from gas to electric water heater

I need a list of the items I will need to convert my gas to ele. w/h. I know I'll need to run power/30 amp 10/2 from w/h location to breaker, which I'll need to add a 240v circuit double? for box, along with any new pipe fittings for the replacement w/h, And not forgetting an electrician to do these things but is there anything else. I am just trying to look at all I will need for an estimate.

Old 06-19-13, 06:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
A larger wallet since electric in most areas cost more than gas. Why do you want to spend hundreds of dollars to spend (possibly) more heating your water?

Old 06-25-13, 09:50 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
Welcome to the forums Sami.

As Ray said, electric water heaters are typically more expensive and have a slower refresh.

But if you do decide to go down that route, you have the main pieces together. Typically, when you hire an electrician he will want to buy/use his own materials, so talk to him before you buy the electrical components.

You'll also need red-sized wire nuts. I usually run the 10/2 to a 4x4" box on the wall then use liquidtight conduit from that box to the water heater for a professional looking install. Per code, you need to have a disconnect at the water heater if the circuit breaker box isn't in sight. You can use a 30A air conditioning disconnect. That said, few people seem to follow that rule.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: