Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Hot water will not turn off, can I turn off the water to the hot water heater?

Old 07-07-13, 05:44 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The hot water will turn not off to my bathtub. Is it running slowly, faster than a drip. I plan to replace the valve in a couple of days with the help of a friend, who knows more about plumbing that I.

I'm thinking, can I turn off the valve that supplies water to the water heater. I live alone, so someone else using the hot is not an issue. It is a gas water heater. Both the tub and water heater are on the first floor. Do I also need to turn off the gas to the water heater? Is there a possibility that the hot water will drain out of the water heater. Would I be better to turn off the main water to the house?

I plan to turn it off when I leave for work, about 13 hours.

Thank you.

-Julian

Old 07-07-13, 05:55 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is there no shut off to the tub? Not the tap, but a valve on the supply line right near by?

I don't think it would be a good idea to shut off the valve that supplies water to the heater. If the tub continues to drip it will eventually run the tank dry which doesn't sound like a good thing.

However, I know little about plumbing and someone with more experience will likely be along shortly.

Old 07-07-13, 05:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
You can turn of the valve that supplies the water heater but you should also shut of the gas as a safety precaution. It is possible for some of the water to drain out of the heater thru the leaky faucet.

Old 07-07-13, 06:00 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shut the valve off at the water heater and the flow will stop if the valve holds.
If there's no flow there's no way for the tank to drain it's self.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: