electic water heater suddenly no hot water

Old 07-07-13, 10:11 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
electic water heater suddenly no hot water

hello. we have an electric water that is a little more than a year old. Last week the faucets would sputter like crazy and extreme hot water was shooting out. This week the stream is steady, but the water is barely warm. We have well water and a water softener. the hot water pipe from the heater is also just a little warm. I was thinking about ajusting the thermostat but decided to post here first for advise. Thanks.

Old 07-07-13, 12:01 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
You may have "tripped" the high temperature cut out. This is located immediately above the upper thermostat and has a red button about 3/8 of an inch in diameter. You would need to turn off the power to the heater, remove the upper access panel, remove the fiberglass insulation piece and then push the button in until it clicks. Replace everything in reverse order and re-power the heater.

Now WHY the heater went into a high temperature mode is a different problem. You may have a failing thermostat or a grounded element. Do you have a multimeter and are you comfortable in using it?

Old 07-07-13, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Your best bet IMO is that its still under warranty. Don't touch it... Call in a service pro... You will pay labor only....

What is the make, model, and serial #??? I can possibly direct you to proper help....

But by all mean you can fix yourself if you feel fit... The labor may be what you spend in parts so why bother..

Just my opinion of course but warranty is warranty.... ( May get labor included too if you can show installed less then a year...)

Old 07-14-13, 01:08 PM
B
Thanks to all for your advice. it is a GE smartwater PE65T09AAH 65GAL Set at 125F I turned off power and did a reset and it seemed to working fine. a few days later the sputtering started and the extreme hot water started again. I am restarting it now...I will prob call a service pro...I will keep you posted.. Thanks again

Old 07-14-13, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,088 Upvotes on 3,671 Posts
Definitely call a service pro. That problem could indicate a defective element or thermostat. You don't want anyone burned.

Old 07-16-13, 05:39 PM
B
Thanks. so i get home to day and find my basement flooded...i see there is a steady leak coming from the bottom panel of the water heater (photo attached). so now im calling the warranty people but of course its after office hours...

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-13, 09:01 PM
B
I opened up the panel and saw that that insulation was slightly scorched and could smell the stench of burnt electricity. I turned off the power and water to the water heater. will call the manufacturer in the morning..will keep you posted

Old 07-16-13, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,088 Upvotes on 3,671 Posts
Not quite what you would be expecting from a one year old product.

Water leaking from the bottom hatch would indicate a defective (most likely shorted) lower element.

Old 07-16-13, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
leaking from the element most likely. Sometimes they short out with a little mini explosive nature to them....

Old 07-17-13, 02:08 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
What I suspect happened is that the outer sheath of the element became damaged and then part of the element was energized between one leg of the incoming power and through the water to the (electrically) grounded tank. This allowed a current to flow through the element independent of the thermostat and caused the extremely hot water and the tripping of the high temperature safety cut out. In turn, the water eroded out the mineral in the center of the element until it started to leak at the electrical connection and that is when the water leak became noticeable.

If it isn't covered under warranty let us know as it probably can be repaired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: