Gas water heater leaking from???

Old 07-07-13, 01:21 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas water heater leaking from???

Hi guys.
This morning I noticed a puddle of water under my gas water heater. It's about 7-8 years old. It replaced another well used water heater with the same problem, but now I'm doing a little more research before shelling out the dough and trying to pinpoint exactly where it's leaking from, as I don't think it's old enough to be developing problems.

When I take off the bottom access panel I can see the insulation inside the heater jacket is wet and dripping. The inlet and outlet on top are bone dry. The only other thing I can think of would be the relief valve where it screws into the unit, but would that suddenly develop a leak after all this time? There was a water mark on the outside jacket by the valve. There's no way to actually see where it screws in because the escutcheon appears to be epoxied in place and cannot be simply popped off.
It's a Bradford White 40 gal and I am on a well.

Should I go through the motions and take the valve off, re-dope it and screw it back in? It could be days before the insulation stops dripping and by that time if it is something else It could turn into a big leak or worse.

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-07-13, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Is it in a damp area ? Could be condensation from the cold water coming in the top.

Old 07-07-13, 01:34 PM
P
Thank you for the fast reply.
I don't have the driest basement, but it's not wet either. My house has central AC and that keeps everything pretty much humidity free including the basement. It's never done this before with this heater and I did not use the hot water that much yesterday aside from a shower. My pipes never show signs of condensation.

Old 07-14-13, 05:07 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Im no expert on this issue, but I just went thru a similar situation with my electric HW tank...- In my case, it was just (only, but not 'just'.., -becoz of the location...) - the sweat joint at the shut-off valve. With the assistance of a collegue, we had to re-sweat joints and get all up to snuff.
From what my collegue (..a 'ticketed' plumber..) said, was that Gas HW tanks Do Not last as long as Electric HW tanks do.. - So given the 'norm' for an electic HW tank, ie 10-15years "PLUS".. vs what he said, being that Gas HW tanks do not as long as electric HW tanks do, ...perhaps its time to change out your GAS HW tank for a newer one...!!!
I presume you checked for leaks...'EveryWhere.."..!?!

Old 07-14-13, 05:54 PM
P
Thanks for the reply, Jatco.

I checked for leaks everywhere but where I mentioned, where the relief valve screws in. I can't imagine the thread sealant just letting loose, but since no one said anything, who knows?
I ended up replacing the tank. I had to do something. One year out of warranty. The supply house said to check my water for its ph level, as too low is bad for water heaters. They seemed to think this was normal for a water heater on well water, but they sell them... It was 350 or so for my last one and this one was $515 (incl tax). I had it up and running in an hour.

Old 07-14-13, 07:24 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
...well, glad to hear all is up and runnung... That is what counts...!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: