staining in showers - water heater issues ??

Old 07-09-13, 05:46 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
staining in showers - water heater issues ??

Hi,

[I'm posting this on the plumbing forum as well].

I am on well water and have had iron bacteria issues. I chlorinated my well several times and still had bad rust staining in the showers which drives me crazy (and the water smelled).

I finally did what several neighbors did and got a chlorination system (chlorine injection with the carbon filter deal). When it was installed, the guy chlorinated the water heater, etc. I still had staining in the shower -- which was my main reason for the chlorination system (in addition to the general issue of getting rid of the iron bacteria of course). The good news is my husband did mention the cold water tastes better.

So he came back and checked the hot and cold water and did still see iron in the hot water only. He chlorinated the water heater again. Well, I still have staining in the showers. I had asked him to come back and do it one more time, but am still waiting to get it done. I did flush the water heater (not fully) and to the naked eye it looks clear.

I'm wondering if I just need to get a new water heater - which I'm willing to do as this one is 15 years old. But I'd want to make sure that was the problem. Could it be the pipes, or the shower head? I actually bought a $5 shower head yesterday just to see if that would help - I have not installed it yet. Should I try chlorinating the water heater one more time? Any other thoughts on what I should try?

BTW - I'm getting a new dishwasher installed soon and would like this fixed before I start running hot water through it!

Thanks!

Old 07-09-13, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Can you post pics of your chlorination system?

Is there a retention tank? If not the water heater acts as a vessel and stores sediment.

How often is the filter set to backwash?

What material pipes in the home?... Copper, steel...etc...

Lets start there and we can help you further.

Old 07-09-13, 07:39 AM
S
Thanks for the reply!

I'm at work so can't post a picture, at least right now.

There is a tank which contains the mixture of chlorine and water (and the pump which injects the chlorine mixture into the water). There is also a retention tank which has the mixer stick in it. Then there is a carbon filter tank. I do believe the carbon filter is set to backwash every 2 days. Note that I also have a water softener (had this before the chlorination system).

Pipes are all copper, at least that I'm aware of (house built in 1998 if that helps).

Thanks!

Old 07-09-13, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
You need to drain that retention tank often... Flush it out... Especially if the well was shocked. That tank gets loaded up with oxidized iron...

Water heater you just need to flush real good too, but at 15 years old it could leak any time... Shocking the heater is probably not doing any good...

Old 07-09-13, 09:04 AM
S
Thanks!

I have not shocked the well since the chlorination system was put in.

Just curious what you meant by "Shocking the heater is probably not doing any good..." ??

Thanks!

Old 07-09-13, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
You may just be oxidizing the sediment/iron thats in there causing it to dis color more

Old 07-09-13, 09:22 AM
S
Ah, I see --- you meant "shocking" in terms of chlorination shocking . Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: