Gas vs. Electric Heater and Dryer

Old 08-02-13, 06:24 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas vs. Electric Heater and Dryer

I'm planning to install a set of laundry machines in one of the 6 flats I own. I'm having the work done professionally because there's never been laundry before so this means having the piping, machines, etc all put in.

My dilemma is between going with a gas water heater/dry or electric heater/dryer. From an installation stand-point I can save about $1,500 by choosing electric (including the cost of the more expensive gas dryer), however I am VERY well aware that electric water heating's expensive.

How long would it take to see the savings of a gas system? We'd also need to have a house gas meter installed (not priced yet). Also, would a 20-gallon heater be enough for a single washer?

Old 08-02-13, 06:33 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Ho much do you pay for electric? How much do you pay for gas.

would a 20-gallon heater be enough for a single washer?
I don't use hot water to wash and it doesn't seem to affect the washing. Are you sure you need hot water?

Old 08-02-13, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Will this water heater only serve the laundry?

Old 08-02-13, 06:58 PM
A
Not having a hot cycle isn't an option for tenant use on a washer.

Yeah, it would only be for the one washing machine.

Can't remember the electric rates off the top of my head, I'll look this up though. What about the size?

Old 08-02-13, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,103 Upvotes on 3,685 Posts
A 20 gallon tank would be ok for a single tenant used machine. They could probably do a second load of laundry on hot water with a gas water heater right after the first. The recovery time for the electric would be longer.

Old 08-03-13, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
I would think a 20 gal WH serving just one washing machine would be plenty, although you will likely be paying a premium for that size. 30 gallons are much more available, and a quick check on big oranges site, can be had starting at $240.

One thing to consider is that since it is only service the washer, maybe you should look at an on-demand water heater. That way you would not be heating water when it is not being used. Looking around on the web a Rheem 3-4GPM is about $200. The wiring would need to be larger than a tank one but not by much. A tank heater is 30 amp and #10 wire and a tankless is a 40 amp and #8 wire. Also the unit would be mounted on the wall and free up floor space.

Example: Rheem RTE 9 Electric Tankless Water Heater, 3 GPM - Amazon.com

Old 08-03-13, 10:05 PM
A
There's room for a tank style heater; thanks for the tip on the 30 gallons being cheaper. We're going electric.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: