Need Advice For New Electric Water Heater

Old 08-23-13, 12:49 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Advice For New Electric Water Heater

My hot water is rusty, which I think means that I need a new water heater. Not surprising since this heater was here when I moved in 18 years ago so it's at least that old.

Best prices I've found so far are on GE brand at Home Depot.

My question is, is it generally worth it to purchase the electric 9 year heaters over the 6 year? The 9 year costs $345 while the 6 year is over $100 less at $238.

My heater location requires that I move the refrigerator and squeeze the old water heater out and the new one in past the refrigerator in a very small kitchen so obviously I don't want to be replacing it often, but I don't want to spend a lot more money unnecessarily either.

Any other advice you have for choosing or installing a new heater is welcome.

Old 08-23-13, 04:00 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'd pass on any water heaters made by GE. Just do a simple Google search with the key words "GE water heater complaints" Even check the comments on the Home Depot Site.
There's a reason on anything that has a longer warranty and it's not just a higher price.
Better materials, thicker lining ECT.
113 Complaints and Reviews about GE Water Heaters | Page 2

If you read though some of these complaints you can see the consumer has not clue.
I like the one where they were complaining about the heater in the attic is putting out water over 100 deg. A water heater should be set in the first place to 120 deg. not 100. And just the temperature in the attic can get over 100 deg. So what do they expect? The heater to cool down the water?

Old 08-23-13, 05:55 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I read the link offered by Joe and many of the "complaints" seem to me to have little merit. Considering the number of "GE" water heaters in service I suspect the complaints to be a pretty small percentage. If you want to really see a lot of complaints then look up Whirlpool water heaters.

Now here's the straight skinny...General Electric (GE) does not make water heaters. Neither does Whirlpool. GE, in fact, makes almost nothing these days except money. GE is a holding company that simply offers the name and the prestige attached to the name. Last I knew GE branded water heaters were made by Rheem which also makes water heaters under the name Ruud.

With only relatively minor differences between brands and models the basic construction of ALL water heaters is the same. Higher prices within a similar gallon capacity generally buys you ONLY a longer warranty. Sometimes you will get a bit more tank insulation, a larger (or second) anode rod or a brass drain valve instead of a plastic drain valve but the basic tank, gas burner or electric elements are exactly the same. The higher cost is mostly the manufacturer betting against you as to how long the heater will last. There is no correlation between warranty offered and actual water heater lifespan.

My opinion is that a DIY-type of person is best served by buying the heater with the shortest warranty and then performing scheduled maintenance to prolong the life of the heater. Buying a more expensive heater to get a better insulated unit may make sense although aftermarket insulating blankets can also be used successfully.

Old 08-23-13, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I agree with Furd, but most extended warrantys are for tank only from what I know in the GE, whirlpool brands and such...It may have changed... But If you ever had to call for service with these brands you would know its a comical nightmare...

If you truly have a hard to reach heater and want a parts and tank warranty for 10 years ( all have 1 yr labor) I would suggest the AO smith conservationist.... You will pay more but they are one of the best heaters made with all the upgrades furd mentioned...
Sometimes you will get a bit more tank insulation, a larger (or second) anode rod or a brass drain valve instead of a plastic drain valve
Additionally some electric heaters today only have one element to heat the water I believe so watch out for this...

This second anode added is the key point as well as a swirling dip tube to remove sediment as you use it...If something does happen to the heater in 10 years parts are covered...you only pay labor....

Here is the unit I would recommend.. Model PXHS-40

Conservationist® Maximum Energy Efficiency 40-Gallon Electric Water Heater | A. O. Smith Water Heaters

You can get at your local feguson dealer as they sell to the public...

Locations Finder

And if you do not want to spend the extra money I would still go with an AO smith... IMO they are the leaders in the water heater industry and make a better product... Plus you get better customer service and support...

Here would be the basic heater.

ProMax® Plus High Efficiency 40-Gallon Electric Water Heater | A. O. Smith Water Heaters

Old 08-25-13, 07:28 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back, but I forgot about this thread. Alzheimers?

Thanks for the advice. I'll call the local dealers for quotes on the ProMax.

Thanks for all the other info. I'm much more confident in choosing one now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: