Quick expansion tank question

Old 08-31-13, 10:07 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quick expansion tank question

I am getting ready to do a swap of a 38 gal electric hot water heater that just died after 15 years. I understand local bldg code requires an expansion tank now. Just a quick opinion question about that expansion tank. The one I purchased states it can be installed either way, air side up or air side down. I currently have a pressure bladder tank on my well system and that is definitely air side up. So I just wondered....is there a preference when installing the expansion tanks to air side up or down? Looks like the mfg states it can be installed either way. Just curious what the gurus here think.

Thanks!

Old 09-01-13, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
It doesn't matter, but it helps if it ever needs to be drained down to have it air side up.

Old 09-01-13, 08:22 AM
T
Thanks Chandler. That makes sense. I wondered too if the tank was installed with the air side down, would it prematurely fail because of the constant weight of the water sitting on top of the air bladder. My installation is in a crawl space where vertical height is limited. The install directions for the expansion tank doesn't say anything really limiting where I put the tank so I guess I could install it in a lower spot to keep the air valve upright. All the plumbing near the hot water heater is above it (hung from the floor joists).

Old 09-02-13, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I find it odd that you would need an expansion tank on a well...

The well bladder tank would act like the expansion tank for the whole system.

Old 09-03-13, 03:05 PM
T
I was just coming back to ask that very question as I have a large pressure tank and think that really serves the purpose of the expansion tank. I guess the idea of a thermal expansion tank is more for those on city water that don't have a pressure tank with their well system, correct?

I'll be happy to take that tank back and save a few $$$. Thanks for the reply, Lawrosa!!

And btw, the hot water heater replacement went fairly well for a 1st timer. I have copper plumbing but chose to use a combination of pex and push on fittings which I really like. Yeah those fittings are darn expensive but I like not having to get the torch out working in that confined crawlspace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: