Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

heater tripped red button breaker now its tripping the fuse panel breaker. why?

Old 09-09-13, 10:26 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

my tenant moved out and told me that by the way the water heater has not been producing hot water the last 2 weeks.

we checked the main town house fuse panel and the water heater breaker was okay. we opened up one of the access panels on the water heater and saw that the red button I tripped so we pushed it back in and it was making hot water just fine. three days later we come back to the unit and see the hot water heater has now tripped the main house fuse panel for the water heater.
this is manufactured by state select it was built in 2005
so now we checked out the lower access panel in the the photo below shows it looks like it has been a short or something in there. what could be causing this does anyone have any suggestions here?
is this a good brand of water heater

Old 09-09-13, 10:29 AM
J
here is a photo looking at the electrical access panel

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-13, 11:36 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I don't know what I am supposed to be seeing in that photo.

Water heaters trip the "high temperature limit switch" when they overheat the water. This can be caused by a defective thermostat that does not "open" the power to an element or it can happen when an element is "grounded" by having an internal fault that allows a completed circuit through the water in the tank.

State water heaters are no better, nor any worse, than any other brands. Electric water heaters are VERY simple appliances and the differences between brands and models are fairly minimal.

Old 09-09-13, 03:55 PM
J
Thanks Furd. The water heater tripped the circuit breaker again about 2 hours after we reset the residence main fuse panel breaker for the water heater.

Also I checked the hot water at the kitchen sink and it sure was coming out way hotter than I normally remember it. So You may be onto something with the faulty thermostat. I think I will just call in a pro to come in and fix it, as I have zero expertise with water heaters. I'll report back what we find.

Attached Images   

Last edited by jeffostroff; 09-09-13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,141 Upvotes on 3,719 Posts
You have a bad thermostat. It looks like it hit the mounting bracket and became welded.

Name:  wh.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  33.4 KB

Old 09-09-13, 08:22 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Terminology:
we reset the residence main fuse panel breaker for the water heater
No breakers in a fuse panel and no fuses in a breaker panel. One or the other but not both.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: