Water Heater only runs when door is open

Old 10-04-13, 10:14 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Heater only runs when door is open

Hopefully someone can help, I am at my wits end. I have a Rheem Fury DV gas water heater. I replaced the check valve and drained, then refilled it over the weekend as part of preventitive maintenence. Since then it will not stay running properly unless the combustion door is cracked. As long as it is partially opened things are fine. The second I try to close it up out goes the burner. I have cleaned the exhaust system and still no luck. Their is no filter that I can see and I am officially out of ideas.

Old 10-04-13, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
There is an intake screen that is possibly clogged. Some whater heaters when they get too hot , because they are starved for oxygen, either have a resettable thermal switch, or some have a fusible one time only device. Like a fused t couple or a internal door that shuts off air flow. Some resettable only from an authorized dealer.

This is the saftey feature.

Also without prober air intake draft issues arise and deadly CO can be released in the home.
( You have a CO detector, right? And it functions?)

If its 6 yrs old or less it is probably under warranty for parts. You just pay labor. You should call rheem and inquiry..

Last I cannot condone leaving the door cracked since its sealed chamber you now have bypassed the FVIR safety feature.

Flammable vapors can now cause an explosion...

There is nothing really anyone here can tell you to do, even though this is a DIY site... Call in a pro would be your best bet for your safety and everyone in the home...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: