Replace 10 YO Water Heater Preemptively or Wait?

Old 10-13-13, 07:26 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace 10 YO Water Heater Preemptively or Wait?

My water heater is 10 years old. It still puts out lots of hot water and I haven't see any signs of issues. But from what I've read, it sounds like 10 years is a long time for one to last.

So I'm trying to decide if I need to replace it now. When one fails, what is TYPICALLY the problem? Is it TYPICALLY just a matter of not producing hot water? Or would it likely burst?

If the typical issue is more a matter of no water, I'd be inclined to wait as I really don't have the money right now.

TIA!

Old 10-13-13, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
The only reason to change the heater before its time IMO is if a leak may cause damage to the home. If not leave it. Even if say the dip tube goes or something else to affect HW output, that can be fixed diy cheaper then a new heater. Its when you need to hire then cost comes into play..

Example: My heater is in an outside shed. When it leaks I dont give a crude so I wait until then,,,,

Old 10-13-13, 07:44 PM
D
Originally Posted by lawrosa
The only reason to change the heater before its time IMO is if a leak may cause damage to the home.
It is in a closet in my bathroom. If it were to burst or leak for a long time there would be damage.

Old 10-13-13, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
It is in a closet in my bathroom. If it were to burst or leak for a long time there would be damage.

IMO change it. If you or a pro change it then ask or look into installing in a pan. Then you never have to worry again and can get extended life from the heater...

Old 10-13-13, 07:52 PM
D
Ok thanks. I'll try to find a way to do it. I was just hoping to avoid it right now and thought maybe the typical issue was more of just no hot water.

Thanks.

Old 10-13-13, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Nope... After 8 yrs or so its a crap shoot. Could leak tomorrow or 5 yrs from now... No one knows... Lots of variables...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: