Old water heater troubles, lets get started.

Old 10-26-13, 06:10 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Old water heater troubles, lets get started.

Hello all, and here is what I am dealing with. Working on an old water heater for my mom, and what happened first was the water became scolding hot. I took it as a run away thermostat, so I replaced the thermostats upper and lower. It worked again, but my mom said that the water was to hot still, so next she and my aunt turned the thermostats down . Now she called and said that she isn't getting any hot water again, only luke warm water she has now. So I went back over and turned the thermostats back up. Still no how water, so I did an ohm test on the upper element, and it was bad, and the bottom one is ohming out at around 13.8.

I went and got two elements 4500W/240V. That's what's in the tank now.

Problem, is that the chromolox elements in the tank have the two clips that hold the thermostats above them actually made together on the element flange. Now the elements that I purchased while up town one day, they have the 4 bolt flange with the gasket included, but they have no way to hold the thermostat like the ones in the tank have now above them with these clips. If I replace these elements with the ones without the little side clips as a part of the package also, then how would I install the thermostats again or how would they be held in position above the elements as well as against the tank ? Anyone run into this before ?

I checked the Chromolox links on Bing to see if I could get these same elements again, but saw none on the sites I checked. Anyone ever heard of these kinds of elements and set up before ? Thanks for any responses and help finding the right elements for this antique.

Old 10-27-13, 08:01 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I may not be able to find these elements, as I have looked high and low for them now. Anyone ever see an element where the brackets for the thermostat was molded into the flange on the element itself ? If I replace the elements with one that is just square with no brackets molded in, then I wouldn't be able to mount the stats above the element as it is now. I may have to replace the water heater over this problem encountered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: