AO Smith will not stay lit for more than half hour

Old 11-08-13, 03:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AO Smith will not stay lit for more than half hour

It lights fine, but it will go out on its own after roughly half an hour, or sooner if you start the shower.

Here is what the burner looks like (upside down, sorry): Photo Shared Using MightyText

His is the burner lit (upside down again): Photo Shared Using MightyText

It is an AO Smith ProMax GCV 40 100. I do not know the exact year.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-08-13, 06:41 PM
Received 187 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Your links don't seem to work. Lawrosa is the resident AO Smith expert, he checks in about every day. Hold on and he'll probably be here to help you.

Old 11-08-13, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
The corderite disk is clogged.. This is the air intake / flamable vapor protector...

You need to make a tool and clean the bottom of the disk with a shop[ vac. There are a few posts here regarding this on this site..

Do a search " corderite disk" on this site.

Let me know what you find... If you have a hard time let me know I will did some documentation for you...

Note. What happens is the unit is starving for air and it trips the thermal switch that is inline with the t couple.. After the unit cools down you are able to relight it....Hence the process starts all over...

You should be good once the disk is clean... If not then I suggest replacing the heater... Last series 100 unit was made in 2007 i believe...

Old 11-11-13, 06:52 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm not entirely sure I accomplished what you had in mind, but I did attempt to vacuum through the vent at the bottom of the unit, upwards toward the chamber. And it seems to have worked, at least for a few days now.

Thank you!

Old 11-11-13, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Keep us posted..

Did you find those links I guess? Sry I have been busy and forgot to link them...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: