Water will not get hot anymore

Old 11-09-13, 06:50 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water will not get hot anymore

Thank you for any advice you can provide. This will be our first winter in our new home. It is a ranch style home with 3 bedrooms, and two full baths. Recently, we have noticed that the hot water is no longer as hot as it once was. In fact, last night, it barely got lukewarm. The bathroom sinks seem to have warmer water and the warm water arrives much sooner. The showers, on the other hand, either never get lukewarm or take several minutes, and even then the warm water does not last long. The water heater temp is set to 125 degrees. A couple of things I have noticed:the main breaker was recently shut off to make electrical repairs to a kitchen light. The water started getting cooler after that; also, I think I have noticed both hot and cold water lines running underneath the house. I say this because I saw what looked like two water lines going up to where my master bathroom sink is. There is no insulation on any of the PVC water line pipes. Lastly, the temperature has changed this week here in Virginia. We have had nightly temps as low as 36 -38 F degrees.

There is hot water being made in the tank because when I lift this small lever, hot water comes out of a long copper pipe into the pan. Although, the water that is released is not as hot as it was before a week or so ago, so the tank does not seem to be making the same temp of water as it was before.

Before I call Rotorooter or some other plumbing company, I want to see if there is anything I can do to resolve our hot water issue.

Old 11-09-13, 07:02 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Electric or Gas heater?
If it's electric I'd be checking the heating element in the heater.
Water Heater Element Testing - Checking Water Heater Elements

Old 11-09-13, 07:15 AM
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If it is electric, check the red buttons on the thermostats on the water heater. In order to check the elements, you will need to turn the power off to the water heater and drain the unit. Often a false reading will occur if water, especially high iron content water, is present across the element. You can follow the instructions on the link, but be prepared to drain the unit and replace elements, anyway.

Old 11-09-13, 07:23 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Also I sure hope it's not really PVC they used for your supply lines.
It's not rated for pressure, it for drain and vent lines.
If it's beige it CPVC.
It would be best if you added some insulation to them.
And make sure your foundation vents are closed.

Old 11-09-13, 09:26 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Also I sure hope it's not really PVC they used for your supply lines.
It's not rated for pressure, it for drain and vent lines.
Sure it is. PVC piping can be used for potable water distribution systems although I prefer copper pipe.

1/2 in. x 10 ft. PVC Sch. 40 Plain-End Pipe-530048 at The Home Depot

CPVC pipe must be used for hot water or can be used for both hot and cold, but I still prefer copper.

EverTUFF 1/2 in. x 10 ft. CPVC Pipe-11150 at The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: