No hot water or pressure

Old 11-23-13, 07:34 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question No hot water or pressure

Last Saturday my roommate got up & took a shower. After her shower she asked me if I had washed the dishes. When I said no, that is when she told me that we didn't have any hot water. So I called 1 of my brothers & he came over. He told me after we checked everything that I needed to switch out the thermostat. So I got a tune up kit which included 2 thermostat & 2 elements. I replaced everything put water back in & turned on the electric. I could hear what sounded like the water was heating up & thought cool I did it. But no hot water. So I thought maybe its electric problem so I called my other brothers. He came over done everything knew what to do & still no hot water. Now the funny thing is I took the hose off that the hot water goes out turned it on. The water was not hot but it was a little more than warm. I live in a trailer, I don't know how old the heater is & it's a electric heater. Any help would be great I'm tired of cold showers.

Old 11-23-13, 08:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,226 Upvotes on 1,986 Posts
Your title says no hot water or pressure but there is no mention of water pressure in your description. Is your only problem that the heater is not heating the water?

Old 11-23-13, 11:38 AM
L
No it is not heating & the pressure isn't like the cold side

Old 11-23-13, 11:54 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The order that it should have been checked is with a volt ohm meter check to make sure there was 220 volt going to the heater.
The check the elements to make sure they were not burned out not just replace them.
Check to make sure it was not just the reset button needing to be reset.
When you changed the elements did you open up a hot side of a faucet or just turn on the incoming cold water?
If no faucet was opened there's no way for the tank to fill fully, turn on the power without a full tank and it can melt the element in seconds.
Another thing that can cause these symptoms is a broken dip tube.
electric water heater parts diagram - Bing Images
How old is this heater?

Old 11-23-13, 02:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,226 Upvotes on 1,986 Posts
In the US home current is 120 and 240 volts. It may vary a little bit but it should be pretty close to 240 volts at your heater's elements.

So, you have some heating of the water? That means at least one element in the heater is working. Do you get a little hot water but it soon cools? If so it could be a broken dip tube. Next would be getting maybe 1/2 of a shower of hot water before it cools which might indicate one of the elements is dead. Since you've already replaced the thermostats and heating elements I'd suspect a broken dip tube.

Old 11-23-13, 02:54 PM
L
I get no warm or hot water into the house at all. Is a dip tube the & cold water pipe the same?? I am getting water in the tank. I wasn't sure what a dip tube is so I just looked & it looked like to me that it was the same as the water inlet.

Old 11-23-13, 08:32 PM
I get no warm or hot water into the house at all. Is a dip tube the & cold water pipe the same?? I am getting water in the tank. I wasn't sure what a dip tube is so I just looked & it looked like to me that it was the same as the water inlet.
Yes , It's a plastic tube that extends the cold water inlet further down towards the bottom of the tank.
This allows the cold water to be heated at the bottom since it's denser and once heated it will rise towards the top.
The hotwater is drawn from the upper level of the tank.

If the diptube is broken or cracked near the top of the tank --- cold water is being allowed in at the top and cooling any warm water there. As well , the cold water is never getting a chance to be heated properly . You end up with never any real hot water.

Old 11-24-13, 07:03 AM
Received 187 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I get no warm or hot water into the house at all
You probably didn't get the air out of the tank after changing elements and now have a burned out the new top element. The top element must heat the top of the tank and satisfy the top thermostat before the power is directed to the lower thermostat to heat the bulk of the water in the tank with the lower element. You need to do some troubleshooting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: