Is it OK to switch breaker fuse for heating elements to off?

Old 11-25-13, 09:47 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is it OK to switch breaker fuse for heating elements to off?

I have a vacation home that I use for 5 months straight & when I leave I switch the breaker to the off position for the hot water tank heating elements. I do not drain the tank. When I return 7 months later I first open a hot water tap in the house to make sure that water is coming from the hot water tank & then I switch the breaker fuse to the heating elements back on. I have been warned by a friend that I should not be switching the breaker fuse to off before I leave because it may do some damage but he does not know what that damage may be. He said he was just told this from a friend that he believes knows what he is talking about. Is it OK to switch the elements off & if it is not OK please explain why? Thanks

Old 11-25-13, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It's fine. Over many many years you may wear the breaker out, but it's an easy fix far down the line.

I would suggest draining the WH though, esp if you are on well water. Lots of creepy things can grow in the other 7 months. At a minimum, you should flush the tank before putting it back in use. Less of a concern with city water, but still good practice.

Old 11-25-13, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
By the way...it's just a breaker, not a breaker fuse. Fuses have to be removed somehow, breakers just get the handle thrown to off or on.

Old 11-25-13, 04:46 PM
D
Thanks Gunguy45 for your quick reply & correcting my "breaker fuse" phrase. How would I go about flushing my tank?

Old 11-25-13, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,147 Upvotes on 3,724 Posts
If you were to drain the tank you would turn off the cold water supply to it and open the drain valve on the bottom of the tank. You can connect a piece of garden hose to the drain valve to direct the water outside or to a floor drain.

If you were to just flush it.... the tank wouldn't be emptied but before you went to put it back into heating service you would open the drain valve and allow it to run for several minutes.... or even a good five minutes. Let it refill and then turn the power back on.

Old 11-26-13, 09:26 AM
D
Thanks PJmax....Just to be clear, all I have to do to flush the hot water tank is to turn the cold water supply that feeds the hot water tank on & open the drain valve at the bottom of the tank & let water pore out for a few minutes. Once this procedure is completed I would then shut the bottom drain valve off & let the tank fill with water & then turn the heating elements on?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: