AO hot water heater issues...to fix or buy new

Old 12-18-13, 02:24 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AO hot water heater issues...to fix or buy new

I'm new to this forum. Let me start off by stating that I am a female & am not mechanically inclined so bear with me. OK, I have a AO hot water heater, model GCV 50T 100. It was installed sometime in late 2006 or early 2007 in a new construction home. However the home was not occupied until March of 2008 which is when the hot water heater was 1st used. On Sunday, the unit stopped producing hot water. I followed the lighting instuctions in the manual & the pilot light will not remain on. Each time I release the gas control knob, the light goes out. I had a family member check it out & subsequently, they broke off the screw trying to take off the thermocouple. Now it appears that I need a new gas control unit (the whole square box thing) & a new thermocouple. My 1st question is do I need to buy a new gas control unit or can that be fixed? Do I need to buy the pilot assembly (part #9003521005) or (part #9006666015)? There is a big difference in the price between the two parts. Or should I just buy a new hot water heater & don't bother trying to fix this one? Any help, suggestions, comments would definately be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-18-13, 04:18 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There are ways to remove broken screws. One is called an easy out. A reverse drill bit might work. Sometimes, you can spin it with an ice pick or something similar. Try that first.

Old 12-18-13, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
If there is a CO of when you moved in and it was 2008 then the unit is under warranty still... You need to produce that paper and call AO smith.... They will give you a # of a rep in your area...

Best not to touch it... If the rep (plumber) that comes out is nice he will change whats broke and only charge you labor.....

Debate the cost though of what that labor charge may be with that rep... That is a series 100 unit and had combustion air issues...

Again call AO smith............parts/tank are coverd 6 yrs from Certificate of occupancy... labor charge is all you will pay...

Old 12-19-13, 05:18 AM
L
Lawrosa,
Unfortunately the unit will be out of warranty. The house was originally purchased in 2006/2007 but never occupied until I purchased it in 2008. So the CO would have been sometime in 2006/2007.

Old 12-19-13, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
I believe it goes buy when you moved in and the house was occupied... I think you just show the closing papers..

Call AO smith its worth a shot... Thats what I had to get from homeowners to get the warranty work approved..

Old 12-20-13, 12:24 PM
L
As it turns out my unit is out of warranty & will need to replace it. Should I go with another AO Smith or get a Rheem?

Old 12-20-13, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
As it turns out my unit is out of warranty & will need to replace it.
Odd.. I was an AO smith rep and thats what I though I remembered...

Its your choice... I believe GE bought rheem..

I my self would not install anything but an AO smith..

Old 12-22-13, 02:36 PM
C
Before you replace

Removing a broken screw is not a major project. Easy outs do work as long as you can drill in a level, straight fashion, the same holds true if you simply drill the screw remnant out with a bit slightly smaller than the screw. You can usually "peel" the remainder of the screw from the threads Both of these options require a steady hand and focus, that's all.

Removing the screw and subsequently the Gas Control Valve will save you a significant amount of money. As far as which part to replace, I would have to get back to you on that since I just joined the forum, primarily to respond to your question. I just resolved an issue with my A O Smith Water Heater and I am handy. I will do the best I can and if I don't know for sure, I will tell you so.

Old 12-22-13, 02:49 PM
C
Since there are no stupid questions, obviously the ignition is working since you said the pilot light will not stay on but are you holding the knob down for at least 20-30 seconds before releasing? It is best to peer through the window to see if the pilot light stays on after holding the button down for the proscribed period and if it does stay on, then simply turn the knob to the ON position and crank up the thermostat.
The reason I mention this is because I had to hold down the Pilot button longer than I expected and as I looked through the window to ensure that the pilot was lit, I turned the knob to the ON position, cranked up the thermostat and voila, blast off was accomplished. About an hour later hot water was pumping through all faucets. One last thought, have you ever done and of the recommended maintenance?

Old 12-22-13, 02:53 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I mentioned easy outs 4 days ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: