Bradford White high recovery WH will not stay hot

Old 12-18-13, 05:25 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bradford White high recovery WH will not stay hot

I have a 2 year old Bradford White GX225S6BN-337 25 Gallon High Recovery Natural Gas Water Heater... and have been disappointed from the start. I paid quite a bit extra for an energy efficient low tank-size, high recovery water heater, knowing full-well that I might be sacrificing some performance (and not be able to run two showers, or the shower and dishwasher, at the same time, for instance). To account for this fact I immediately replaced my shower heads with low-flow versions.

However... the Bradford White Water Heater has disappointed from the start, and has steadily performed worse over the two years I have owned the unit.

The litany of complaints, in a nutshell:

1)no matter what temperature I set, the water will get good and warm (occasionally), but never hot.
2)It will never stay hot (or even warm)... whatever the temperature when a shower is started will only last for about 20 seconds, and then the temperature will start to drop, and will slowly and steadily drop from that point on
3)The heat will not kick-on until the water is nearly stone cold.... and has been stone cold for a looong time.

This water heater is incredibly frustrating, and Bradford White customer service has not been helpful at all. Tonight I am going to try to flush the tank (based on the instructions here.. thanks!!) and if it doesn't improve matters significantly, I am going to order a new 75 or 100 gallon behemoth ......... unless anyone else has further advice ?

Does anyone have any idea why this water heater is such a huge disappointment?

Old 12-18-13, 05:29 PM
M
the only way i can get even a half decent shower is to run the water until it is cold...and then run it some more... and wait for the heater to ***eventually*** cut-on ... and time my shower to RIGHT before it will cut-off....

to say the least... this is NOT an energy efficient solution!

Old 12-18-13, 07:16 PM
M
interesting.... i just turned off the heat, and took a shower. when it started to get cold, i stopped the shower and went to drain the tank.

i turned off the water supply input.. opened a hot spicket, and attached the hose, and and opened the release valve.....

... and the water that has been t*r*i*c*k*l*i*n*g out of the hose is really really warm. nice and toasty.....

wtf?

Old 12-19-13, 07:06 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
My first thought is you bought the wrong water heater. There is no way a 25 gallon heater can keep up with demand without a sufficient supply in the tank.

i turned off the water supply input.. opened a hot spicket, and attached the hose, and and opened the release valve.....

... and the water that has been t*r*i*c*k*l*i*n*g out of the hose is really really warm. nice and toasty.....

wtf?
This statement sounds as if you have a dip tube problem. The cold water entering the tank never makes it to the bottom of the tank and is just mixing with the hot water at the top of the tank. This could be a factory defect or the dip tube could have been damaged during installation. That being said, I still think you bought a heater too small for your expectations. I am not an expert, but Lawrosa is and he should be along sometime this morning.

Old 12-19-13, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I believe the size of the heater is OK... Yes sounds like dip tube issue...

Your two yr old heater is under warranty for parts and tank for 6 yrs... You just pay labor...

Call BW again and ask for warranty service...

Possibly the installer overheated the inlet connection when soldering and melted the dip tube... Possibly its missing the dip tube...

There were a run of heaters ( AO smith) in the 90's that were produced without a dip tube... It was a QC issue.... It does happen and could be what happened with yours...

Old 02-13-14, 04:24 PM
D
Love the GX225s6bn

We own that model and love it. We never run out of water and recently had 6 adults and 8 children staying with us. Definitely, there is a problem with yours. It's worth checking with your contractor or contacting Bradford White directly. I spoke directly with them before buying ours almost 6 years ago and they were a big help. Hope everything works out for you!

Old 03-04-15, 02:50 PM
M
i just realized that i had never posted what the solution to this problem was....

the mixing valve stopped functioning (this is a valve attached just after the hot water leaves the unit, and it mixes the hot water with cold water, and allows the unit to run at a hotter temperature than would be safe otherwise)

googling around, these mixing valves fail .... alll ... the... damned.. time....

my mixing valve is made by honeywell... and yup, the "new" one is failing now.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: